Bavarian Household cavalry

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
Marechal de France
Sergeant
Sergeant

Bavarian Household cavalry

Post by Marechal de France » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:05 pm

Besides my own French army I also painted one for my co-player, a Bavarian one.

For his cavalry I already did the Kurassiers and Dragoons, but not yet the household units (Hartschiere, Carabiniers, Grenadiers and Prince Philippe Carabiniers; all found on the Baccus painting guide). Now my question is, how large each of these four units were.
When I looked at a OOB from the Spanish Succession website http://www.spanishsuccession.nl/brabant.html I found that some of these household units from the Elector had two squadrons and some were smaller.

Can anybody enlighten me?
pabblo41
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by pabblo41 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:28 pm

3 guard units each 1 sqdn, paper strength 150 men each. Carbiniers 3 sqdns each of a paper strenght 150 men per sqdn (I did not know that this was a guard unit :? in addition to the other 3).

Dont know how many men each unit had in the field in the battles they were preasent at. But these are Baverians after all:wink:
Pabblo41
18th Century Guy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by 18th Century Guy » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:21 am

My understanding is that the Prince Phillipe Carabinier were not household cavalry. It was made up from the 3 dragoon regiments which lost/disbanded after Bleinheim.
Rohan Wilmott
Sergeant Major of the Army

Post by Rohan Wilmott » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:01 am

According to Charles S Grant in " The Armies & Uniforms of Marlborough's Wars Volume 1" from Partizan Press, the Prince Philip Carabineers were formed from the remains of the 3 dragoon regiments after the Battle of Blenheim. No further dragoon regiments were formed by the Bavarian Army during the WSS (probably because a lot of Bavaria was occupied by the Imperials.

There are some excellent Robert Hall uniform plates available from the Pike & Shot Society website for the Bavarians <http://www.pikeandshotsociety.org/index.htm>and Maverick Models do superb flags in all scales <http://www.maverick-models.com/index.htm> if you are not good at flags like me.

As far as strengths go, the only OOB's I have show squadron numbers only.

For Schellenburg & Blenheim I recommend Ian Stanford's "Marlborough goes to War" from Pike & Shot Society. At Schellenburg, Monasterol's Dragoons 2 sqns & Santini's dragoons 1 sqn in Monasreol's Dragoon Bde ( along with 6 French Dragoon Sqn's deployed in support of the foot). Lt Gen Torring-Seefeld commanded 26 sqn's of Bavarian cavalry in support behind the Schellenburg - 6 sqn each of the 4 cuirassier regiments - Arco & Weickel in Weickel's Bde and Costa & Wolframsdorff along with 2 sqn of Locatelli Hussars in De Costa's Bde.

At Blenheim, Von Wolframsdorff commanded 23 sqn's of Bavarian Horse deployed between Oberglauheim & Lutzingen as part of the Cavalry under Compte d'Arco. In the 1st line Weickel's Bde consisted of 4 sqn each of Arco & Weickel Cuirassiers, and 3 sqn of Household Guard Horse - certainly the Garde Carabiniers (? 1 or 2 sqn) and Garde Grenadiers & probably also the Hartschiere Garde though Grant says these were palace ceremonial troops. In the 2nd line was de Costa's Bde with 5sqn Wolframsdorff Cuir., 4 sqn Costa Cuir. & 2 sqn Locatelli Hussars. The 3 Dragoon regiments appear to have been in Munich & Augsberg at the time.

At Ramilles, The Bavarians had Cavalry as part of 2 Bde's - 1st Line Santini's Bde 3 sqn each of Arco, Weickel & Garde brigaded with cavalry from Cologne & in 2nd line in Costa's Bde 3 sqn each of Wolframsdorff, Costa & Pr. Philip Carabiniers also with a unit from Cologne. reference = "Ramilles - Marlborough's Masterpiece" by Neil Litten by Partizan Press.

At Malplaquet there are 12 squadrons of unnamed Bavarian Horse present in the cavalry of the Left - 7 sqn in the 1st line & 5 in the 2nd. Reference = "Malplaquet 1709" by Christopher Scott also by Partizan Press.

Hope this is helpful, Cheers, Rohan.
Rohan Wilmott

Post by Rohan Wilmott » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:08 am

Oops! Big Sorry Iain - I spelt your name incorrectly :oops: :oops: Apologies, Rohan.