Victory Without Quarter

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
quindia
General
General

Victory Without Quarter

Post by quindia » Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:57 am

I'm the guy who sent Barry "a very fine set of ECW rules" (high praise indeed following ULB). Following Barry's advice (I've been meaning to post the announcement for some time), they are now available free via e-mail from my articles page...

http://www.quindia.com/studioarticles.htm

They are in the spirit of ULB with foot regiments of three stands and horse regiments of two. The central feature of the game is a card driven turn system that adds a lot of tension to the game and causes frustration to helicopter generals. For those who are not fans of card driven systems, the game works equally well with alternate bounds, using some form of ULB's command system or even a DBA style.

All combat and morale is stand-based and there is never a need to remove casualty figures (so you avoid having that last stand of pike mucking around the table).

There are still things to add (rules for highlanders for instance), but the core mechanics seem to work well and in the games I've run they have captured the feel of the period, or at least my interpretation of it! Anyone who asks for the set will receive updated versions as they are available.

Feedback would be welcome, especially from someone who takes the time to set up some models and push them around the table!
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:18 pm

Well done Clarence! If you hadn't posted them I would have!!! :wink:

This may well stop Ian Beal pestering me to post up my 1644 amendments :oops:

I recommend anyone interested in ECW to get a copy as the presentation is excellent, the mechanics sound and the effort put in to this document quite obvious.

Cheers

B
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:56 pm

This may well stop Ian Beal pestering me to post up my 1644 amendments

That's what made me write my own rules! :lol:

I tried to use ULB but it quickly became obvious that pikes played a more important (and numerous) role in the ECW than the period ULB is designed for. I tried fielding units with two musket and one pike stand, but soon found the shooting of foot units too underpowered (since ULB is designed for standard units to fire with three stands at full strength).

Anyway, ULB was a huge inspiration for VQ and I have received a lot of favorable comments on the set so far.
azeroth
Captain
Captain

Post by azeroth » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:07 am

And very good rules they are too Clarence....

Had them for weeks Barry, as for the pestering, I shall just have to find something else to nag you over now

IanB
A moth eaten rag on a worm eaten pole
It does not look likely to stir a man's soul
'Tis the deeds that were done 'neath the moth eaten rag
When the pole was a staff and the rag was a flag.

E Hamley
gonzo
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by gonzo » Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:52 pm

Hi,

one quick question. Can the rules be used when playin TYW battles?

Regards,

Viktor
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:26 pm

Maybe.

They are designed around my collection of models - i.e. three stand infantry regiments. The Imperialist Tertios might cause a problem since I can't see how to represent them without using eight stands! I think you would have to try it and see what kind of house rules you can make for those juggernauts!

If someone can solve that, they should work fine.

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:25 am

Hi,

the big tercios shouldn't be a problem for me since I aim to play from 1631/32 and onwards. By that time those tercios had all but dissappeared.

Regards,

Viktor