The 1710 Spanish Campaign

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
hwiccee

The 1710 Spanish Campaign

Post by hwiccee » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:18 pm

Hi,

I just wanted to let you know that there is a new book on the
WSS. It covers the 1710 Campaign in Spain and contains details on armies,
battles, army movement and commanders.

The book is called Marlborough's Last Chance in Spain - The
1710 Spanish Campaign.

More info here: http://www.arnfelts.com/index_files/Page346.htm

and here: ://www.wfgamers.org.uk/resources/C18/MarlSpain.htm

My apologies for the advertising, but I felt it would be of
interest to people on this list.
18th Century Guy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: The 1710 Spanish Campaign

Post by 18th Century Guy » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:05 am

No need to apologize. Everyone here is always interested in new source material or just a good read. Thank you!
Greg
Arthur
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Arthur » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:53 pm

The campaigns in Flanders tend to make the Spanish theatre look like a sideshow - perhaps because the allies lost most of their battles there - so it's nice to see the latter covered in detail for a change.

Without having read the book, one superficial niggle would be the very Marlborough-centric approach to the presentation of the material, though I can understand the focus from a commercial point of view : everybody knows Johnny Churchill whereas the Earl of Galway and Stanhope aren't exactly household names. Yet Marlborough never set foot in Spain and it was his esteemed colleagues who proceeded to receive a good whipping there at the hands of Messrs Berwick and co.
One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know.
hwiccee

Post by hwiccee » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:11 pm

18th Century Guy: OK :)

Arthur: I hope you enjoy the book and I have more on Spain and Portugal on the way - along with 1711 Russians and Ottomans.

On Marlborough - obviously his name is important to material on this as you suggest. Also as you suggest unless you know something about this theatre you are unlikely to know the other names involved. But this theatre is a about Marlborough and vital to his story.

As you say he never set foot in Spain or Portugal but he was effectively the supreme commander, or at least the most important commander, of all the anti French forces. He was the main driving force in strategy generally. The direct superior of the British forces in Spain/Portugal and paymaster of most of the rest. He didn't make the day to day decisions but he was largely responsible for the rest and the most important military parts. For example you could argue [but I wouldn't] that Galway lost Almanza because he was heavily outnumber. This would be Marlborough's fault because didn't send enough troops to Spain.

So I wold argue that the armies there are 'Marlborough' in the military sense because he is effectively the military leader of the Confederates. But more importantly, and this is the sense meant in the book, it is Marlborough's last chance in Spain politically. He is leader of the British 'Hawks' and at this time they are steadily losing influence. A key part of their doctrine was the slogan 'No peace without Spain' and Marlborough was being attacked politically for his failure to capture Spain for the cause. The failure of the 1710 campaign and loss of most of the British troops in this directly lead to political action against Marlborough which within a year lost him his political/military posts and everything that followed this.

So this campaign was politically Marlborough's last chance. Because of the centrality of the 'No peace without Spain' idea to the Hawks the Spanish theatre is arguably the most crucial theatre of the war. Certainly it was this theatre that was the key to the events that brought Marlborough down and settled the war.

In any case I hope you like the book if you get it. The good news is that both sides get 'kick butt' in a fairly action packed campaign. There are 2 Confederate victories, 3 Spanish victories and 1 successful French siege - plenty for every one :)
huevans07
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by huevans07 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:29 am

Hi Nick,

Interesting new book and the stuff on the Ottomans and Russians sounds fascinating too.