Identification of a Unit, Help Needed

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
Sir William
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Identification of a Unit, Help Needed

Post by Sir William » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:53 pm

Gentlemen;

On the OoB for Catinat's army at the Battle of Marsaglia (1693), there is a unit listed described only as "Clarke" and brigaded with the Irish Limerick regiment in d'Husson's division. This division also contained 2 btns. of the Irish Queen's regiment (or La Reine d’Angleterre) as well as some Walloons, and a large contingent of native French regiments. The name "Clarke" suggests a possible anglicized regiment, or an etranger regiment with a commander who had an angilcized surname.

Any thoughts or other sources out there? I have checked Susane to no avail and my documentation on the Irish also sheds no light. My first thought was that the name was a typo of the regiment Clare, but records indicate they were not present at Marsaglia.

Regards;

Bill
Sir William the Aged
www.warsoflouisxiv.blogspot.com
Sir William
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Re: Identification of a Unit, Help Needed

Post by Sir William » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:28 pm

Gentlemen;

I may possibly require a good Homer Simpson-esque smack to the head. While doing some further "digging" for another issue, I took a second look at Mark Allen's WI article on the battle honors of the French Infantry. Lo and behold, next to the regiment Clare is listed "Italy, Marsaglia". So, went back to O'Callaghan's book on the Irish Brigades (which is not easy to search BTW) and there too is a mention of Clare's service at Marsaglia. It is also mentioned (as support?) that the regiment's Colonel died of wounds received at Marsaglia:

"Daniel O'Brien, 4th Viscount of Clare, died at Pignerol, in 1693, of wounds received at the victory of Marsaglia, gained October 4th by Catinat over the Allies, and at which the Regiment of Clare was present."

So, unless somebody has information to trump Allen and O'Callaghan, I will make the assumption that the listing in Catinat's OoB (taken from his journals) should have said "Clare" instead of "Clarke". Life just got easier; now if I could just find the info on the Irish Dragoons a pied...

Bill
Sir William the Aged
www.warsoflouisxiv.blogspot.com