WSS Saxon flags

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
18th Century Guy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

WSS Saxon flags

Post by 18th Century Guy » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:25 am

How many flags per battalion did the Saxon have for units involved in the WSS? Next, how many for units involved in the GNW? Thanks!
Greg
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Re: WSS Saxon flags

Post by Friedrich August I. » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:45 am

Hi 18th Century Guy,

I started a tread with almost the same question and got a few answers if you like to know:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3708

I like to think that they carried at least 2 Flags.
One Colonnels-, Kings- or Leibkompanie-Color, and One colored Flag in the color of their Regiments facing color.

Cheers,

Günter
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
Rohan Wilmott
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army

Post by Rohan Wilmott » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:39 pm

Dan Schorr in his "Notes on the Saxon Army 1700 - 1716" states that each company carried a flag or standard - white for the Colonel's company & coloured for the rest. That means about 12-16 for an infantry regiment and 8 - 12 for a cavalry regiment depending on the period. I guess this number would no doubt be reduced by losses.

I'm not sure if this reference is still available - I got mine from the Tyne & Wear GNW site some years ago.

I think Dan visits this site so perhaps he may be able to tell you if it is still available.

Stuart Wilson at Maverick Miniatures has some great Saxon Flags.
http://www.maverick-models.com

Cheers, Rohan.
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:48 pm

Rohan Wilmott wrote:Dan Schorr in his "Notes on the Saxon Army 1700 - 1716" .....I'm not sure if this reference is still available
18th Century Guy / Rohan,

It is still available...here:

http://web.archive.org/web/200710050226 ... nwars.com/

Must have missed that line in the Notes... :roll:

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
danschorr
Major
Major

Post by danschorr » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:44 am

The Saxon information available from the archive.org site is out of date. I have a updated pdf file that was on my site for a number of years before I took the site down that includes information and plates of colours and standards. If anyone wants a copy they can email me at dan(at)northernwars(dot)com. New information, primarily organizational data, has become available since the pdf was published that is not included in the pdf. By the way, the colours and standards offered by flag manufacturers are taken from this pdf or from the Acedia Press book. None of them ever conducted any research on their own to be able to offer these flags.
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:15 am

danschorr wrote:The Saxon information available from the archive.org site is out of date. I have a updated pdf file that was on my site for a number of years before I took the site down that includes information and plates of colours and standards. If anyone wants a copy they can email me at dan(at)northernwars(dot)com. New information, primarily organizational data, has become available since the pdf was published that is not included in the pdf. By the way, the colours and standards offered by flag manufacturers are taken from this pdf or from the Acedia Press book. None of them ever conducted any research on their own to be able to offer these flags.
Mr. Schorr,
I am honored that youself write here and make that offer. I will send you a request today for the updated pdf.file. Thank You for the oppportunity.

Günter

Cheriton
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Cheriton » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:57 pm

Gunter & Dan:
Friedrich August I. wrote:
danschorr wrote:If anyone wants a copy they can email me at dan(at)northernwars(dot)com.
Mr. Schorr,
I am honored that youself write here and make that offer. I will send you a request today for the updated pdf.file. Thank You for the oppportunity.

Günter
I had availed myself to much of the information, CDs & etc., at Dan's site back in the 00s. I wrote to him yesterday and almost immediately received the pdf in question.

It is extremely impressive at some 50+ pages in length, professionally presented with many colour plates included. So very kind of Dan to share this with us. His passion for the subject matter was equally evident when his site was up a decade or so ago.

A simple "Thank you" to Dan almost seems inadequate. :D

Michael
"Blessing of your heart you brew good ale."

~ Shakespeare
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:00 pm

I have to agree with Michael, what Dan is giving away is years of hard work and research and his generousity really deserves more than just a thank you.
Cheers
Dave
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:19 pm

obriendavid wrote:I have to agree with Michael, what Dan is giving away is years of hard work and research and his generousity really deserves more than just a thank you.
Cheers
Dave
Dave / Michael,

To show you that I thought that too I copy here the mail I wrote to Dan and his answer:
Dear Mr. Schorr,

I want to thank you for the formidable work you have done. I am a great fan of your work.
Therefore I would like to have this updated file of yours concerning the Saxons in the GNW.
Beeing half a Saxon myself I plan to raise the Saxon Army on their way through the centuries.
For now I have a steadily growing Napoleonic Saxon Army. My current project is the early
Saxon Army of August the Strong.
May I use this opportunity to ask you: Did the Saxons carrie Pikes in the GNW?

Once again Thank You

Best regards

Günter

Dan's answer:

Günter,

Thank you for your kind words. The pdf file is attached. I hope it is helpful. The Leibfahne was white with the same decorations as the colored colours. Why the flag manufacturers do not include them, I do not know.

As for pikes, the answer is no. When the standing Army was established in 1682, 1/3 of each company were pikemen; however, when the Army went to the relief of Vienna in 1683, the pikes were left behind and the pikemen were issued muskets and boar spears. The three regiments that were supplied to Venice 1685-87 also did not have pikemen. Finally in 1687 the pike was abolished and all the men were equipped with muskets and boar spears. At what point the boar spear was no longer issued, I have not been able to determine.

I hope all of this is helpful. You are a great deal closer to Dresden than I am, and the Saxon Archives survived World War II intact, including a rather large military collection. At some point, you might want to spend some time there. I am certain it will yield benefits. Unfortunately, I have never had the opportunity. When I lived in Europe, Saxony was in the DDR and travel there difficult if not impossible.

Regards,

Dan

Still my kind to thank him gives me the feeling that it isn't enough
Best Wishes,
Günter

Buzz0000
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Buzz0000 » Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:38 pm

I realise this thread is more than a decade old and Dan passed away some years ago, plus all the WayBack and other links to his old NorthernWars website also no longer seem to work.

I became a huge fan of Dan's work when building a Danish army (initially from a core used for the Williamite army in Ireland) and am now trying to build a Saxon Army from the similar period (including for the siege of Vienna); but flag info is proving elusive.

Warfare Flags here and Maverick plus others have excellent GNW and WSS flags, but I am unable to find a source for the earlier period.

Anyone have any pointers please?

thanks
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Sat Jul 22, 2023 5:39 am

The Flags I used for my GNW Saxon Army are from the 1700-1704 Period which are available here on the Website.

https://www.leagueofaugsburg.com/shop/p ... cat-8.html

Buzz0000
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Buzz0000 » Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:16 pm

Thanks - Warfare and the Maverick site have good representations of GNW and WSS flags, mostly derived from the plates in Dan Schorr's work.

However, I am trying to find pre-1700 info i.e. Siege of Vienna.

There are some flags that seem to be from that earlier period (as Dan mentions used a field in the facings colour with different (less intricate) borders and cyphers from 1700 onwards variants. but I can not track down the origin/manufacturer.

Regards