Boisseleau's flags for the Boyne

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
yar68
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Boisseleau's flags for the Boyne

Post by yar68 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:31 am

Just as the title suggest, the flags of the 2 battalions of Boisseleau's regt, for The Boyne. My interpretation anyway??

http://onelover-ray.blogspot.co.uk/2012 ... is-de.html
Ray

Yay...I say yay..............Yay!

http://onelover-ray.blogspot.com/
BobR
Corporal
Corporal

Re: Boisseleau's flags for the Boyne

Post by BobR » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:57 am

Really nice flags Ray. I feel guilty but I keep using your flags on my regiments. I too am painting the two Boisseleau battalions and decided to go with white facings for both (based on absolutley nothing) but giving one battalion white stockings and the other grey. I was thinking also about the grenadiers having completely different uniforms from one battalion to the next. Maybe the drummers will be different as well. Anyway, curious to see how yours will turn out. - Bob R.
yar68
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by yar68 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:37 am

Don't feel guilty Bob, that's why I post them for others to use.
I've not started my two battalions yet, mine are most probably going to look quite boring, all white or off white coat and cuffs with maybe brown/grey stockings. I'm not sure if I'll add grenadiers to the newly formed Jacobite regiments though, I will to the units that went over to James at the start of the war. Have you any photos of your units?
Ray

BobR
Corporal
Corporal

Post by BobR » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:02 am

i am doing red coats with white cuffs to keep them as generic as I can. I make my flags removable by putting them on a brass tube. That way, i can easily change the regiment by just changing the flag. Sometimes I have different individually based drummers and grenadiers that can change with the flags. I should have some of the figures completed by the end of next weekend (hopefully sooner) and I will post some pics then on this thread. Have just about got Boisselleau himself finished but he is wearing a light purple coat (to look different and somewhat aristocratic and Frenchylike) with his own standard and flagbearer and sergeant together on a stand. - Bob R
BobR
Corporal
Corporal

Post by BobR » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:48 pm

One battalion done. Trying to build units on a 20:1 scale. Flags are on brass tubes and interchangeable. - Bob R.
Attachments
Boisseleau Pictures 2.JPG
Boisseleau Pictures 2.JPG (116.79 KiB) Viewed 8302 times
Boisseleau Pictures 3.JPG
Boisseleau Pictures 3.JPG (152.25 KiB) Viewed 8302 times
yar68
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by yar68 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:28 pm

Great work Bob!!! They look excellent!!!!
Ray

BobR
Corporal
Corporal

Post by BobR » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:27 pm

The drummers really didn't go with the unit nor did grenadiers. I just added them from another unit. The flags look really good in 25mm scale. i mixed in Front Rank, Copplestone (Northstar now) and some standing poses I had laying around that I am not sure who the maker was. - Bob R.
markdo
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by markdo » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:58 pm

Nice pictures. Regarding these brass tubes, I presume they are hollow and fit onto the standard bearer's standard?

Mark
BobR
Corporal
Corporal

Post by BobR » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:35 am

I wrap the flag around a brass tube that then slides over the flag bearers pole. I use the brass instead of the aluminum because it doesn't bend as easily. You also only have to saw about 1/4 of the way thru the brass and then it easily snaps off the original longer tube. I ended up using a small saw because my wire cutters smashed the tube as they cut and therefore messed up the next section to be cut off the longer tube. I buy them at Hobby Lobby. Not sure of the diameter but that would depend on your pole size. It is amazing how just changing the flag can change the look of the whole unit. I just took this picture of a flag with my cell phone so that you can see how the tube looks in the flag.- Bob R
Attachments
Flag on Tube.JPG
Flag on Tube.JPG (25.99 KiB) Viewed 8253 times
Flag on Tube.JPG
Flag on Tube.JPG (25.99 KiB) Viewed 8253 times
BobR
Corporal
Corporal

Post by BobR » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:30 pm

Boisselleau himself, mounted in purple coat.- Bob R.
Attachments
002.JPG
002.JPG (202.69 KiB) Viewed 8189 times