Cuirassiers du Roi

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
Theo Raykoske
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Cuirassiers du Roi

Post by Theo Raykoske » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:29 pm

Guys,

Did this regiment fight at Malplaquet - or even in any of the earlier battles of the WSS?

Theo
Arthur
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Cuirassiers du Roi

Post by Arthur » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:36 pm

Nope, Cuirassiers du Roy never served in Flanders. The regiment fought in Italy from 1701 until the battle of Turin in 1706, and later campaigned in Germany with the army of the Rhine, to which it belonged throughout 1709 and 1710.
One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know.
Theo Raykoske
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by Theo Raykoske » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:09 pm

Arthur,

Thank you for that information. I had just noticed, in reading Falkner's book on Marlborough's battles that were absent from any accounts of the actions of the French.

Guess I will have to omit them from my planned French army, then, as I want to include units that fought at Malplaquet.

Best Wishes

Theo
Theo Raykoske
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by Theo Raykoske » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:10 pm

Guys,

Do you think that the French were disadvataged in Flanders by not having armoured cavalry (apart from a number of Bavarian squadrons?) in their battles against the Allies?

Theo
Rob Herrick
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Rob Herrick » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:19 am

Theo Raykoske wrote:Guys,

Do you think that the French were disadvataged in Flanders by not having armoured cavalry (apart from a number of Bavarian squadrons?) in their battles against the Allies?

Theo
In a word, not really. What mattered most for heavy cavalry was horseflesh and discipline. Armor was an incremental - but not decisive - edge. Most of the coats of the era were just as effective against a sword slash as armor, while neither armor nor coat was proof against a pistol or musket ball.

Traditionally, it is assumed that the French cavalry reverted to older tactics between the Nine Years War and the Seven Years War, and that was their downfall. Lynn raises, but does not investigate, the interesting idea that French horseflesh was inferior in the WSS due to the financial exhaustion of the Bourbons and that was decisive.
With Gen'l Custer Down in Mexico: Yes, one of the goals is to see how many times one can get him killed.
j1mwallace
Major General
Major General

Post by j1mwallace » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:31 am

The French Cavalry despite propaganda to contrary seems to have fought pretty well in most of the battles of the WSS. We only ever seem to hear of their defeat at Blenheim but never hear of their sterling work at other parts of the battle and the fact that they fought many successfull engagements against allied cavalry. to me at least it appears that the main reason French and bavarian Cavalry suffered their reverses was due to close co-operation between Allied cavalry and infantry.
I don't believe the lack of heavy cavalry made any difference. it was bad handling and manoeuvre that cost the French
maciek
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by maciek » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:02 pm

AFAIK Franch cavalry were armoured - they wore breastplates under the coats. Cuirassiers du Roi were the only regiment to wear breast and backplates over the coat.
Traditionally, it is assumed that the French cavalry reverted to older tactics between the Nine Years War and the Seven Years War, and that was their downfall.
Not quite, or not by all authors. Closer examination of battles reveal that French horse were at least equal to their Allied counterpart. They won upper hand at Hochstadt, Speyerbach, Almansa, to name only a few engagements they fought.
In others they were beaten by higher tactic - cooperation of Allied infantry and cavalry (Blenheim) or numerical superiority (Ramillies), rather than by force.
At Blenheim, they fought off every effort of (armoured) Imperial cavalry ot the Prince Eugene wing. At Malplaquet they stopped the advance of the whole Allied army, and withdrew only in face of infantry holding breastworks.
The failure of Gendarmerie against English horse is famous, but it's background is unclear - maybe they were desorganized by Hessian fire. We must also remember, that after being "routed" Gendarmerie charged at least six times during the rest of battle, while on the northern wing both sides cavalry gave up after two times.

Generaly, I think that inferiority of French cavalry is a myth, equal only to alleged superiority of "Dutch school" musketry.
Maciek

http://zealandbayonets.blogspot.com/
wargaming in 10mm
Rob Herrick
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Rob Herrick » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:31 pm

It may well have come down to the classic cavalry decider. He with the last reserve wins.
With Gen'l Custer Down in Mexico: Yes, one of the goals is to see how many times one can get him killed.
Theo Raykoske
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by Theo Raykoske » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:38 pm

Gentlemen,

Again, my thanks for the information and opinion. I have wanted to collect a small Maison du Roi and I'm now convinced enough to do so with pride!

All Good Wishes

Theo
Rob Herrick
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Rob Herrick » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:33 pm

Theo Raykoske wrote:Gentlemen,

Again, my thanks for the information and opinion. I have wanted to collect a small Maison du Roi and I'm now convinced enough to do so with pride!

All Good Wishes

Theo
Since they served in the Army of Flanders, you should! They fit your theme.
Rohan Wilmott
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army

Post by Rohan Wilmott » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:23 am

Hi, Theo.

I think that by the time of the WSS most French Horse (as indeed many others) went without the cuirass - too heavy & offered very little added protection to sword cuts & practically nil to musket or pistol shot. Officers and perhaps some troopers (as Maciek says) still used them at times, usually under their coats.

There is debate as to when the Bavarians discarded their cuirasses (probably after Blenheim), and some doubt about the Danes as well later in the WSS. Imperial Cuirassiers tended to hang onto them as they were more useful against the Ottomans, I believe.

You can field the Maison du Roi with pride ...... and Maverick Models do the flags on paper or material - check the WSS French section (Does Flag Dude do them as well?)

Cheers, Rohan
Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:05 pm

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Theo Raykoske
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by Theo Raykoske » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:43 pm

Hello Ray and Rohan,

Thank you for your comments and information.

Best Wishes

Theo
maciek
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by maciek » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:53 am

As they came to within pistol shot, the Gendamerie halted and discharged a volley.
What is the source of this information ?
Maciek

http://zealandbayonets.blogspot.com/
wargaming in 10mm
Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:25 am

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.