Battles outside Flanders

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
Theo Raykoske
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Battles outside Flanders

Post by Theo Raykoske » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:40 pm

Guys,

Am I correct in thinking that there is little or nothing in English about (perhaps apart from Alamanza) about battles in other theatres of the War?

Theo
maciek
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Battles outside Flanders

Post by maciek » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:47 pm

In Pike & Shot Society's "Arquebusier" you can find descriptions of some smaller battles of 1702/1703 (Speyer, Friedlingen etc.).
Nick Dorrel wrote a book about campaign of 1710 in Spain (quite decent IMO).
Here http://www.warflag.com/blenheim2004/hochstedt/Hs.pdf
you can find short description of battle of Hochstadt.

... and dont forget, that the village of Blenheim lays outside Flanders too :D
Maciek

http://zealandbayonets.blogspot.com/
wargaming in 10mm
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:52 pm

Theo Raykoske wrote:Guys,

Am I correct in thinking that there is little or nothing in English about (perhaps apart from Alamanza) about battles in other theatres of the War?

Theo
Theo,

I think this depends where you are looking :roll: The GNW is well documented in english I believe. Wars along the Rhine, in Italy and the war in Spain have certainly english sources too.
So where do you intend to go?

Günter
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
Theo Raykoske
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by Theo Raykoske » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:28 pm

Hello Gunter and Maciek,

Thank you for the prompt replies.

It is the WSS that has caught my attention, partly because I'm interested in the French Army of the eighteenth century. I have been reading books such as the Chandler's two on Marlborough and his age and the Osprey on the Army of Louis XIV - and the author of the latter mentions various battles other than the big four involving Marlborough. I was wondering if there might be anything about these other battles in English that is all.

In reference to the GNW, I have the book by Englund on Poltava - a cracking read as I recall - and the two book books on the uniforms of the Swedish and Russian forces.

As often happens, when one gets interested in an era one looks for books to feed the interest. If only I could read French ......

Again, my thanks.

Vive le Roi!

Theo
Rob Herrick
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Rob Herrick » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:40 pm

There are also three English supplements about the fighting in Catalonia put out by http://desperta-ferro-ed.blogspot.com/

Two cover the 1713-1714 (Defiant Principality and Catalonia Stands Alone) and one about the English expeditionary force in Catalonia (God Save Catalonia, which is not downloadable from Desperta Ferro, but you can find online).

There's enough in there to build the British, and to figure out quite a bit of what the Archduke Charles could raise.
With Gen'l Custer Down in Mexico: Yes, one of the goals is to see how many times one can get him killed.
wdrenth
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by wdrenth » Thu May 10, 2012 7:27 pm

One of my favorite readings on the WSS in Spain and Portugal is Parnell's The War of the Succession in Spain during the Reign of Queen Anne 1702-1711.

regards,
Wienand