15mm LoA figs?

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
sdennan

15mm LoA figs?

Post by sdennan » Tue May 15, 2012 10:56 pm

Hi All

I am looking at building a 15mm Imperial army LoA period. Mainly to fight Ottomans. I am a bit caught on what figs to buy for these guys. My opponent has pretty averaged sized 15s but the figs I am looking at are either Hallmark (very small) or Venexia (very large).

Any suggestions or alternatives?

Simon
Dfogleman2
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: 15mm LoA figs?

Post by Dfogleman2 » Tue May 15, 2012 11:45 pm

Essex makes good 15mm. My personal favorites are Hallmark.
yar68
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by yar68 » Wed May 16, 2012 12:32 pm

Go with Essex, as Dfogleman2 suggested, they're the more concise range of most, Hallmark are nice but you'll need a second mortgage to build your army, Venexia are massive figures and they're looking for a buyer for the company at the moment, so the figures are not that readily available at the moment, so I've read.
Check out my blog for some photo of the Essex range and here's a link for Essex if you haven't seen it already.

http://www.essexminiatures.co.uk/frames15bro.html
Ray

Yay...I say yay..............Yay!

http://onelover-ray.blogspot.com/
Sir William
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Sir William » Thu May 17, 2012 4:49 am

sdennan;

Here are some comparison pics that I did for my blog awhile back of the available 15/18mm figures for the LoA. All shots are against a 4mm square background with interim marks every 2mm. You will see that there is a wide variance between ranges.

Musketeers:
Officers & Sergeants:
Drummers:

The Les Higgins 20mm Marlburians were added just to give today's gamers some perspective. These are "true 20mm" (soles of feet to the eyes, as collector's measured them) and were considered the "gold standard" back in the day. It really gives a very graphic example of "scale creep", some of Lancashire Games figures are taller and they are bulkier figures.

While I own at least one battalion of each maker shown, the bulk of my forces are drawn from Essex, Irregular and Donnington. They mix well if kept in separate units, and some can even be mixed - judiciously - like Irregular's standing firing or standing loading with Essex kneeling firing and officers. I have also done some head swaps that have worked out well and added some additional "character". By the way, while the overall height of the Essex figures is obviously shorter then both Donnington and Irregular, the physical proportions actually match up reasonably well. I solved the height disparity by simply slipping a small round shim under each Essex figure. I punched these out of some thin plastic sheet with a 1/4" - punch. I don't have any pictures handy of my current LoA project, but here is a TYW group of French musketeers that mixes Museum, Donnington, Essex and Old Glory and I used the shims on these to get everything to mate up.

I don't have pics of the cavalry, but Essex offer the widest selection. Both of the Donnington and Irregular riders will fit well on Essex horses, plus Irregular makes some nice horses. Since all three makers will sell separate riders and horses, I chose to use primarily an assortment of Essex horses (just cause I like them) with riders from all three makers.

Also by the way, there is at least one more maker, albeit a very small range. Mick Yarrow of MY Miniatures has a small range for the Glorious Revolution that includes some unusual figures, like rebel musketeers and officers, that will mix with these as well. I did a small test shot of some of Mick's figures, unwashed unfortunately, with a Donnington officer and the Irregular Sergeant for comparison.

I think you could pull together a very decent force from these ranges that will reward good painting and do you proud. I hope this helps with your decision.

Regards;
Sir William the Aged
www.warsoflouisxiv.blogspot.com