Tangiers Adventure Moors

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
Anonymous

Tangiers Adventure Moors

Post by Anonymous » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:28 am

Any suggestions for figure manufacturers who might produce suitable minis for Moors?
Mats
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Mats » Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:33 am

Hi Ad,

I think the Zanzibari mercenaries in Foundry's Darkest Africa range offer a great start for creating Moorish troops of the time. Of course you need to alter their rifles, add some powder bags, but that's doable. You could mix in some Perry Bedouin cavalry from their Crusades range for the feudal feel.

Hope this helps :)

Mats
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:10 pm

One of the Augsburg games I was most pleased with was a Tangier Adventure which Duncan Macfarlane christened 'Might is Right'. This was in fact the very first collaboration I ever made with David Imrie and his contribution along with the rest if us was More MOORS!

What we used then were Old Glory Nubians or Numidians or something like that from their Crusdaer range. I doubt whether too many of the Moors in the 17th century would have had firearms. More likely to be spears and bows with lance armed or javelin armed cavalry.

B
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Mats
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Mats » Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:22 pm

barr7430 wrote:I doubt whether too many of the Moors in the 17th century would have had firearms.
What I understand is that there was an abundance of the stuff in the coastal areas. As early as the late 16th century, North Africans were exporting fire arms to the trans-saharan african kingdoms.

But their use may have been restricted to coastal garrissons and (barbary) pirates, I'm not sure :?

My 2 cents!

Mats :)
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:53 pm

Could be right Mats :wink: We never really researched the Moors very thoroughly as the whole game came as a sort of adjunct to the Grand Alliance units we were building at the time. I would be more than willing to accept the widespread use of firearms amongst the natives of the African coastal areas. I guess tactically they would have been 'nowhere' with guns but then again, neither were the English at that stage!!! :roll:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford