Dutch 1672 - how "Uniform..."

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
Orctrader
Private First Class
Private First Class

Dutch 1672 - how "Uniform..."

Post by Orctrader » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:29 pm

Starting to paint some Northstar "1672" - ex-Copplestone figures.

In the BLB book I checked the uniform guides and have gone for the "grey" regiment Van Essen - the ones with the yellow cuffs.

My question is, how "uniform" would they have been? I like the idea of doing all of the figures with grey coats, but mixing in some other colours for the trousers, shoes and maybe even a few hats that are not black. :roll:

If I ever get them finished, then decide to try and sell them, would the lack of uniformity tell against me?
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Re: Dutch 1672 - how "Uniform..."

Post by obriendavid » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:11 pm

It wouldn't bother me with them not being perfectly uniformed, I've just finished painting Antrim's regiment for the Jacobite wars in Ireland and made a definite decision to add civilian clothing to some figures and I am really happy with the end result. When you read eyewitness accounts of troops on campaign after a few weeks they were usually happy to get their hands of anything that would keep them warm and/or dry.
Cheers
Dave
Orctrader
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Dutch 1672 - how "Uniform..."

Post by Orctrader » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:04 pm

obriendavid wrote:...When you read eyewitness accounts of troops on campaign after a few weeks they were usually happy to get their hands of anything that would keep them warm and/or dry...
Thanks Dave. That's what I was thinking. And some slight variety should really lift the appearance of the figures.