Wargames Factory WSS - Floppy Hats...

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
Orctrader
Private First Class
Private First Class

Wargames Factory WSS - Floppy Hats...

Post by Orctrader » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:32 pm

Can anyone who has these please tell me how many heads have "floppy hats" per box?

I saw on the WF site comments about "can be used for earlier periods..." "...make upto 12 pikemen..."

I'm wondering if I could mix in a few with my Northstar 1672 figures to add more variety. Any views on this? Obviously being plastic, conversions should be reasonably easy if necessary.
Russian James
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Wargames Factory WSS - Floppy Hats...

Post by Russian James » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:39 pm

12 floppy hats with front brim turned up, 12 with two sides turned up almost making an unofficial tricorne, with small feather plume lying along along one side.

I have a few dozen of each unused...
Orctrader
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Orctrader » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:48 pm

Thanks for the information. Very useful. :)
Sir William
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Sir William » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:34 pm

Orctrader,

The uniforms will be completely wrong. The Northstar 1672 range is the former Copplestone "Glory of the Sun" range. The uniforms depicted are specifically for the 1672 to 1678 period of the Franco/Dutch Wars. They have more frills, fuller-cut coats, shorter coat sleeves with large high (just below the elbow) cuffs and very low pockets (almost at the hem).

The "earlier period" referred to in the WF literature is the Nine Years War, and most of the uniforms for anything other than colonial garrison regiments would have changed significantly. The Wargames Factory figures will work reasonably well for the League of Augsburg period (or NYW), but not the earlier period. These uniform coats have full length sleeves with smaller cuffs, tighter-fitting waists and higher pockets.

Given the delays often encountered in changing uniforms for regiments in the field, it would be possible to use some of the Northstar figures for regiments very early in the Nine Years War, but highly unlikely that any troops would be equipped in the later uniform during the earlier wars.

However, that being said, they would be your figures and you can use them however you wish. My personal opinion is that you would be better served filling out the ranks with some other metal figures.

Regards;

Bill
Sir William the Aged
www.warsoflouisxiv.blogspot.com
Orctrader
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Orctrader » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:57 am

Thanks Bill. I'll probably still buy a box to see what I can do with them, but your excellent explanation on the uniform differences are well noted and very useful.