Dutch Uniform test

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
Orctrader
Private First Class
Private First Class

Dutch Uniform test

Post by Orctrader » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:13 pm

Test figure - appalling photo, but very quick.

Light grey coat with yellow cuffs and white buttons for Dutch regiment. Yes or no? (I liked the look of the "van Essen" in the BLB book.)

My plan is for every figure to get the coat and the cuffs with some variation amongst the trousers, stockings and hat band.
El Cid
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Re: Dutch Uniform test

Post by El Cid » Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:15 pm

Nice paint job.

According to C.S.Grant's book "From Pike to Shot 1685 to 1720" this regiment had an ash grey coat with yellow lining, white stockings and white buttons.
The rest was not known (to Mr.Grant).
EvilGinger
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by EvilGinger » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:35 pm

I can't comment on the two different interpretation of the uniform but the paint job works rather well. With one caveat I would have done the drum skin in a buff tone rather than as it appears to me grey as there is a lot of grey on the figure already & buff is a plausible alternative IMO

:evil: Ginger
El Cid
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by El Cid » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:32 pm

This plate from the VAE VICTIS homepage

shows the regiment as No.3, it's number in the army listing
and that would correspond with the painted version

I think, it's one of the cases where it's very unclear and should be up to the painters likey
Arthur
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Arthur » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:19 pm

Already answered you on the LAF forum, so my post here will be substantially the same : drummers in the Dutch army normally wore reversed colours in order to stand out among the rank and file, so your lad should be wearing a yellow coat faced white, with or without white lace in keeping with the button colour.

Below is a watecolour of a a musketeer from the Van Essen regiment circa 1691, courtesy of the Legermuseum in Delft and Motorway's blog :

And here's a drummer from regiment van Wijnbergen wearing a musician's uniform in reversed colours (Wijnbergen had grey coats faced red) :

Hats and breeches of various colours would seem appropriate to me for Dutch infantrymen, especially if you're depicting troops from the 1670's.
One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know.
Orctrader
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Orctrader » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:11 pm

Thanks for the feedback. :)

Reverse coat...I like that. Yellow should add some nice colour.

Photo taken in sunlight - I just wanted some opinions before I committed to painting any more of the figures. Grey will be...a light grey. Will do some experiments before committing. And I intend to put in some slight variation, so a few figures may have slightly lighter, others slightly darker coats to represent weathering/new/old stock in the field.

The drum is actually more buff than grey, but the light has washed it out. Though now I'm going to paint the coat yellow with grey cuffs it shouldn't really matter.

Thanks again.
Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:18 pm

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arthur
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Arthur » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:13 pm

Orctrader wrote:Reverse coat...I like that. Yellow should add some nice colour
Not all Dutch regiments had their drummers in reversed colours, but the majority seem to have followed that practice. I have no period source to properly confirm Van Essen had its drummers in yellow coats faced grey/white during William's reign, but that sounds like a reasonable assumption to me.

And as you say, it looks good :mrgreen:

If you feel patient enough to do so, you can even paint the arms of Gelderland on the drum barrel, since Van Essen was maintained by that particular province (unless the drum bore the colonel's crest instead, but I think it was the provincial arms).
One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know.
markdo
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Re: Dutch Uniform scheme by El Cid

Post by markdo » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:28 am

I've not been able to find this coat scheme on the Vie Victis site. What exactly was the link and is there a list of the regiments to go with it?

Mark