Forthcoming Front Rank reinforcements

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
curassier
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Forthcoming Front Rank reinforcements

Post by curassier » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:38 pm

Curassiers are on their way in two flavours - with hat or pot helmet.
There will be Austrian officers and a special Austrian/Imperial grenadier.
Then "generic" cavalry and artillery crews (with additional poses) are promised - generic meaning in a less formal tricorne. I speak only as a satisfied customer but he seems to have most things covered. A remarkable range.
Curassier :D
Jonathan
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:47 am

I agree Jonathan, it is a very good range(although I still have an issue with every single figure looking like it had the same parents). For collectors who have majored in the period for a long time it is alas too much too late. I cannot see myself ditching 45 battalions and about 35 squadrons to start again and probably couldn't face the thought of building it from scratch. The other problem is the lack of size compatibliity with the other ranges. It is a LARGE range in more than one sense of the word.

The main benefit for me is that it is revitalising interest YET AGAIN in a fanatastic period.

Well done Front Rank, alas you arrived too late to save me!!!
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
curassier
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by curassier » Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:59 pm

Barry,
I take your point. I am clearly starting afresh. Front rank now do some head variants and with careful selection of poses I think sufficient dynamism and variety can be created within a based unit. What is remarkable is that a one-man-band is willing to invest so much time in this period. The range is large and growing. Given the variety of countries involved there should be something here for everyone. A good look at Brian Phillips web-site shows what can be done. Actually it's your photos and the rules that started me off, not Front Rank, so you are to blame!
JM
Jonathan
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:13 pm

Well actually Jonathan I'll take that as a compliment!

I had heard through the grapevine that your collection owed a passing nod to my own and I had sort of detected a similarity in the units Brian was painting to some of mine:wink: I guess he is doing them for you.

Well I'm glad about that, Brian is a talented painter and is doing justice to fine figures in a wonderful period.

I hope that ULB5 will lift the rules and support material to a higher level. I am working on it with Clarence Harrison at the moment.

Best

B

Henry Ford
Giorgio
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Giorgio » Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:39 pm

Hi , I'm just registred in this fantastic site.
I was taken into this period by LOA and Mark Allen pictures on WI last decade and I had 2 little armies made by Dixon, Foundry, Irregulars but the new regimentsare ONLY Front Ranks : sublime!!!
I'm just waiting for Eugenio di Savoia miniature to enforce my Allies.
For the flags I rely on Ian's warflag website and I have 2 questions : Berwick Irish , which is the uniform, as I have found diferent sources with different ones. Second : Dorrington , which is the flag? I didn't find in Ian's list.
A great regard to all of you and my best compliments :D
Giorgio

p.s. may I have a copy of your rules? :wink:
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:02 pm

Hello Giorgio...

rules coming to you soon! :D

Henry Ford
Captain of Dragoons
Major General
Major General

Post by Captain of Dragoons » Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:52 pm

A few month's ago on Front Ranks comments space I wrote asking for one or two pikeman figures.

I have heard through other forums that Front Rank are not really interested going that way :evil: but it would be nice. :wink:

:idea: any way of making Dixon pikemen look bigger to match Front Rank figures. I'll have to order some and start having them eat their wheates :!:

Although pikes began to disappear from the battlefield during the WSS their is evidence that they were still be used in the early years of the war.

On the yahoo group Blenheim 2004 there was a interesting discussion that some British battalions still had pikes at Blenheim.

cheers

Edward
Captain of Dragoons
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:37 pm

Captain of Dragoons wrote: Although pikes began to disappear from the battlefield during the WSS their is evidence that they were still be used in the early years of the war. On the yahoo group Blenheim 2004 there was a interesting discussion that some British battalions still had pikes at Blenheim.
I would be interested to see the evidence of this as this is something I've never come across in my research for the period. There are various mentions of some Spanish regiments still carrying pikes at Eckeren in 1703 and that's mainly mentioned because the practice was so dated by then. I think where some people get confused is that pikes were officiallly dropped from lists of equipment in 1705 but that's different to people still using them.

Cheers
Dave
Captain of Dragoons
Major General
Major General

Post by Captain of Dragoons » Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:51 pm

obriendavid

I believe the discussion came up on The Blenheim Yahoo Group due to photo's of paintings put on photo folder. These paintings where from the period and showed British troops with pikes at Blenheim.

Also I believe from someone's memories from the period talked about the review held in London after the victory. The Guards paraded the captured French colours. Included in the Parade where Pikemen. I forget the source but you can find these discussion points on the Blenheim message logs.

I remember reading that certain French Regiments were short on muskets in 1704 so pikes where issued.

Hope this helps

Edward
Captain of Dragoons

Post by Guest » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:56 am

obriendavid

try speaking to Peter Berry at Baccus, he knows of someone at University who has done research on the use of Pikes in the early part of the WSS. From what he said they had discovered from records that pikes were issued to "British" units serving in Flanders (not Spain), and were returned in 1706/7. 8)