Small action rules from Clarence and Barry

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Small action rules from Clarence and Barry

Post by barr7430 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:48 pm

Clarence and I are discussing small action rules for use in the period 1660-1721 right now. These would cover scenario or mission based games for small forces of 3-5 units each of 6-16 models probably singly based. They could be treated as small figure to man ratio 1:5 or thereabouts or even 1:1. They are card driven and would incorporate principles Clarence has already successfully deployed with VWQ and that I have used with TMoE. Primarily they would focus on actions and conflicts which are not best catered for by BLB.
These would include: actions involving Religious Dissenters, Jacobites, Rapparees, Pirates, Moors, Native Americans and Colonists.

If there is any interest in this low entry, personality and event driven type of gaming in our period i will post up a pic of a sample force tomorrow... let's see what you think
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Rohan Wilmott
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army

Re: Small action rules from Clarence and Barry

Post by Rohan Wilmott » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:19 pm

I certainly would be very interested in these, Barry.

Such a set would add the "petit guerre" aspect of the era as well as the variants you mention, and allow some of the excellent variety of miniatures from Warfare, Ebor, etc to be used to advantage.

So I could use a grenadier company to take a bridge or outwork, so "justifying" rather more than 2 figures of Nick's excellent Brandenberg Bayreuth grenadiers that are required for a BLB battalion. Nick, that would justify grenadier officers, too! :mrgreen:

This would also allow for more "entertaining" grenade rules too!! :lol:

And then, there are the flags - as such units would represent companies....! Stuart, Iain! :wink:

The NCO and musician figures would also have a roll, as well as officers. Then there are the baggage handlers, the pioneers, coaches & carts, tavern wenches....!! :twisted:

Perhaps, I could stretch to some Jacobites as well, or Spanish, or Turks even! :roll:

Oh yes! Bring them on.

Cheers, Rohan.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:39 pm

Thanks Rohan,

many of the mentioned items have already been included, trialed or slated for consideration. The 'special characteristics' of personality types :drummers, sergeants , colour beaeres, officers ,mnaster gunners ,engineers, heroes etc have already been successfully used within TMoE.

I'll post a pic up tomorrow to show a small force

cheers

B

Henry Ford
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:31 am

We are very early in the process of this project (just started kicking around ideas last Sunday). The goal is to provide a set of rules that allow you to play games on a 4x4' table in about an hour with a minimum investment in time and models to get involved (although if you're like me you end up building three or four forces). You can also run multi-player scenarios on 4x6' or larger tables.

The card system provides a very dramatic and chaotic atmosphere to the game which I feel perfectly captures these small engagements. The card driven mechanics also allow you to model events and other story elements into the deck. The game is meant to be very character and narrative driven. The force is lead by a character than is meant to represent YOU on the tabletop. The remainder of the force will be made up of lieutenants, henchmen, bodyguards, servants, soldiers from your regiment, or any other combination appropriate to the faction you've chosen or the scenario.

More to come, but like Barry I'd love to hear about the level of interest for these kinds of actions...
Russian James
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Russian James » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:32 am

Sounds good to me.

Going by the success of SAGA rules there seems to be a market for this level of action.

Smaller numbers also mean that the painters can spend longer on individual figures - should be interesting to see what the Leonardos and Titchmarshes come up with... :)

Count me in! Happy to try some playtesting as well if needed.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:43 am

That is definitely part of it Jim! Clarence and I love to tell little stories with the figures and vignettes. Coupled with a genuine interest in the 'quirky' it could produce some nice scenarios playable in relativeyl quick time without being rushed.
BLB grew out of my love of the 'grand action' of the period and my time playing with a group of guys in Lancashire on a 10 x 5 table. We played Neerwinden, Steinkirke,Fleurus, Friedlingen,Walcourt, etc etc.. fro,m there the rules morphed from a basic set we used into something honed more to the period. BLB can be used for company level actions but it was not written specifically for them. A set for battalion level already exist although have not been published yet and the arena we are talking about here is smaller again... they would have 'personality'

Henry Ford
yar68
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by yar68 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:36 am

They sound very interesting??
Ray

Yay...I say yay..............Yay!

http://onelover-ray.blogspot.com/
18th Century Guy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by 18th Century Guy » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:43 am

I'd love to see the battalion level rules. But your even smaller level action could be a very good way to bring in the young fantasy types as this might be the type of gaming they are use to. They won't be scared off thinking that they'll have to paint up hundreds or thousands of figures just to play a game. They'll want to do that after they get a taste of it!

Greg
Greg
Ed Youngstrom
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Ed Youngstrom » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:25 pm

Sounds VERY interesting. I'm interested!
Ed
Matt 1805
Private
Private

Post by Matt 1805 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:53 pm

I'd definately be happy to try these. I like small games such as the 'Legends' series which I have adapted for other periods too. I have tried Saga but I am not convinced as it is very gamey and rather less period feel for my liking. The ability to personalise it to tell your own stories is very important, character development is one way to encourage this. I like card driven systems too - shame I have just rebased my Jacobites onto multiple bases for BLB!
EvilGinger
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by EvilGinger » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:51 pm

I really must get back to working on my Sharp Practice variant for the period & I intend to avoid re basing by using warbases Sabot bases for BLB

:evil: Ginger
Rob Herrick
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Rob Herrick » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:05 am

I like the idea of a skirmish set for the period. I've been on a skirmish kick for quite a while now, and it will absolutely help folks who don't have the resources to raise even the modest-sized armies of the period.

A BLB sized regiment would be a company or a troop, so all anybody would really need is a brigade a side.
With Gen'l Custer Down in Mexico: Yes, one of the goals is to see how many times one can get him killed.
custosarmorum
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by custosarmorum » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:42 pm

I would be interested. We have recently been playing Musket and Tomahawk for French and Indian War and AWI -- we can often do a small game over an extended lunch hour. I think a version that covered the earlier period would be great!

For inspiration I would read my colleague George Satterfield's Princes, Partisans, and Posts which looks at French petite guerre in the Low Countries during the Dutch War. A very good book although, since it was published by Brill, horribly expensive at more than $200 (US). But if you have a good library near by, they may have it or be able to get a copy on inter-library loan.

My request with respect to cards is to make them available, either as part of the game or at least as a separate deck. I have had Sharp Practice for several years no and never played -- I don't have as much time as I would like for gaming and the time I do have I prefer to spend painting figures or terrain or, errr, gaming... not making or downloading cards! Also, I imagine that professionally made cards hold up and shuffle better. That was the draw of Musket and Tomahawk -- the rules included cards. I understand TFL have started issuing cards with their new Dux Britannorum rules. I, for one, hope this is a trend.
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:03 pm

Without going into too much detail, the card deck is - to the models you are fielding (rather than generic troop types like, for instance, Piquet). File index cards will work perfectly well for getting and could be made in a few minutes. Certainly a set of blank cards could be offered...
custosarmorum
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by custosarmorum » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:18 pm

Thanks, Clarence, for the clarification. If the cards change every game based on troops/composition, then durability is less of an issue.