Amsterdam

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
footslogger
Major
Major

Amsterdam

Post by footslogger » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:30 pm

I'm going to be in Amsterdam in October for work. I'll have a free afternoon or two. What things are to be seen for the military history buff especially having to do with the WSS?
Emir of Askaristan
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Re: Amsterdam

Post by Emir of Askaristan » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:02 pm

I lived there for the better part of a year, but cant remember anything specific to the period in question.

However, the Dutch maritime museum in Amsterdam is wonderful but the Dutch Army Museum in Deft really is a gem as is the Archaeological Museum in Leiden. Niether are far from Amsterdam by rail and really are worth the trip.

Have fun!
All the Best

The Emir
wdrenth
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by wdrenth » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:38 am

Though more related to the Guerre Hollande of 1672 - 78, the city of Naarden may be of interest for its fortifications. What I remember from childhood many years ago, there was a museum and some guns. It is not far from Amsterdam either. As indicated before, Delft is a real go.
The city of Utrecht may be nice as well, because of its role during the peace negotiations.
Motorway
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Motorway » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:25 am

The Rijksmuseum (the dutch national art museum, www.rijksmuseum.nl), the collection of prints at the Rijksprentenkabinet, (http://www.rijksmuseum.nl/collectie/rij ... et?lang=nl) and if you have a lot of time you may take a visit to William III's "Het Loo Palace" in Apeldoorn. (http://www.paleishetloo.nl/frontpage/0/1/Home.html).
wdrenth
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by wdrenth » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:20 am

That should be Rijks Museum, shouldn't it :wink: Has it already been reopened by the way?