Skirmish rules

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Skirmish rules

Post by obriendavid » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:56 pm

Clarence, I had my first opportunity this afternoon to try out the skirmish rules at Barrys and thought they worked well. We had a couple of games which were lots of fun but ended up with a 'few' questions which Barry will be emailing to you. Keep up the good work.
Cheers
Dave
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Skirmish rules

Post by barr7430 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:16 pm

Yes we enjoyed them a lot. Our scenario was various groups of Covenanters trying to make their way to a Conventicle in a ruined church whilst patrols of Militia roamed the countryside trying to prevent it. Sounds like Drumcree!
Anyway, in the first iteration the Covenanters after a fine start were slaughtered to a man with the Meenister being cut to the ground by Grenadiers as he tried to escape their clutches (we did about 18-20 turns in an hour.
In the second game we moved the church! By turn 10 a large group of Convenanters had made it to the sermon in the church whilst the Government troops were nowhere! A win for the Covvies but we played on, the Meenister came out of the church, mounted his horse and joined a small outfit of Moss Troopers who were taking on some Government Horse. The Rev was duly shot out of the saddle!

The game played on till turn 20 but still the Covenanters stayed put in the the church and were not smoked or flushed out.

I will post the questions to you privately but the game ran very well and suited the period excellently. I think we'll be closer than first imagined with this Clarence :wink:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Russian James
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Russian James » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:04 am

So the next release of Warfare Miniatures will include a fleeing Meenistur?

:) :) :)
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:49 pm

Russian James wrote:So the next release of Warfare Miniatures will include a fleeing Meenistur?

Or one on his back with a - in his head. :wink:
Cheers
Dave
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:01 pm

Questions answered or marked for further thought!
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:51 pm

obriendavid wrote:
Russian James wrote:So the next release of Warfare Miniatures will include a fleeing Meenistur?

Or one on his back with a - in his head. :wink:
Cheers
Dave
Obviously the word H O L E is one of Barry's banned words. :roll:
Cheers
Dave
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:52 pm

quindia wrote:Questions answered or marked for further thought!
I've sent you a few more comments Clarence.
Cheers
Dave
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:27 pm

Will reply when I get to a real keyboard rather than my iPhone...
Rohan Wilmott
Sergeant Major of the Army

Post by Rohan Wilmott » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:35 am

Hello, Clarence & Barry.

I hope that when developing the skirmish rules you will keep the Eastern side of Europe in mind, too.

I think I recall Barry waxing lyrical about some Cuirassiers on the horizon for Warfare Miniatures (and hopefully dragoons), and also in another place musing about Easterners that may have been Ottomans after his visits to the "heated zones". The continual raiding warfare between the Austrian/Imperials and the Ottomans springs to mind as a great source of scenarios with the early career of Eugene of Savoy as an example.

Another nice figure making chap has also recently released some very tasty Polish Winged Hussars. 1683 was the stoush I was thinking of, but there is a lot of conflict between Saxony, Poland, Brandenburg, Denmark, Sweden, Russia, etc in the later 1600's & early 1700's that is fertile ground for small unit actions with the myriad of "interesting" figures available.

So please keep "Hairy Easterners" in mind as well as "Hairy Celts" when formulating the rules, and also the big chaps in cuirass and those with long pointy sticks. :D I'm sure you are already considering the fellows who used their neddies to spare boot leather but dismounted to fight, as they were everywhere for "police actions".

Cheers, Rohan.
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:35 am

The rules aren't really period specific and could be used for skirmishing anywhere but I suppose rules for bows would have to be added but I'm sure most troop types could be covered by what's already written but Clarence would be the best person to answer this.
These rules will probably be the final push I need to get into the Vendee period which is something I have always wanted to fight.
Cheers
Dave
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:54 am

Rohan, the initial game focuses on the theater of the British Isles. Part of the game involves choosing a faction which supplies force guidelines, special rules, etc. There is a focus on providing loads of period flavor in the game and a targeted approach to characters, units, and events worked best for this.

That being said, the core rules will work for any horse and musket period or pirates in the Caribbean for that matter (my original rules were for Colonial Africa and I've used them for Sharpe-style Napoleonics as well). We will follow up with additional factions and theaters. There are already rules for bows, armor, dismounting cavalry, etc.

Stay tuned!
Rohan Wilmott

Post by Rohan Wilmott » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:24 pm

Sounds good, Clarence! My fingers are going nowhere near the dial! :lol:
Cheers, Rohan.