Gardes te Paard

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
turrabear
Major General
Major General

Re: Gardes te Paard

Post by turrabear » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:59 pm

barr7430 wrote:OK as promised Warfare Miniatures Gard te Paard to be found at this link:

http://www.leagueofaugsburg.com/gallery ... 7-385.html
i like it.
conflans
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by conflans » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:08 pm

Gentlemen;

It looks like it takes only a paint job to create the Gardes du Corps as opposed to the Gardes te Paard. Great stuff.
toggy
Major General
Major General

Post by toggy » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:49 pm

Thanks for that Barry, do like those beige hats.

Bob
We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction. Macarthur, Douglas
Ben Waterhouse
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Ben Waterhouse » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:24 pm

Nice!
Arma Pacis Fulcra

God, War, Drink.
Captain of Dragoons
Major General
Major General

Post by Captain of Dragoons » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:45 pm

Great figure and paint job Barry,

Now that's what I call character and period flavour 8)

cheers
Edward
Captain of Dragoons
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:37 am

Thanks Guys for the comments. I was actually inspired to do this figure in very short order as the idea came to me whilst undertaking a very long and dull task yesterday.

The figure will not be commercially available for one simple reason, it was not sculpted specifically as Gard te Paard but as one of the trumpeters in the Cuirassier range. I realise that for some time there has been a demand for specific GtP figures and I had considered commissioning a specific sculpt but sales would probably not justify the expense. Therefore an interesting compromise exists for those who want a unit of GtP. I will be prepared to offer a customized unit of this regiment commercially. Illustration will come over the next few days. It will involve paying a bit extra but availability will be almost immediate.

Here is the rationale:

Trumpeters are cast in 'command pack' production moulds. We do not run these as frequently as we run ordinary trooper moulds. Every time you spin it, it produces all of the castings in the mould. To get the basic number of castings for a squadron/2 squadrons of GtP I will have a large surplus of loose officers and cornets. I am prepared to absorb this cost if I can charge extra for the trumpeter castings I sell. It may mean adding about £1-£1.50 per figure so in fact a trooper would cost double normal price roughly. Horses and officers would be normal price. That way I can offer 5 - 9 castings with arm options: Hat waving, sword arms or pistol arms or pointing or hand on hip to any gamers who want 1 or 2 squadrons of GtP. In summary a 6 model squadron of GtP would probably cost about £6 more than a normal squadron of cavalry(4 of this torso plus a normal officer and cornet.. alternatively a trumpeter could be included too) and a 12 model squadron about £13.50 extra(assuming 9 troopers, cornet, trumpeter and officer)

Having checked the various illustrations of GtP I think the figure is very close if not, almost perfect. Of course there is no slung carbine BUT... BLB makes no use of long arms for cavalry and they had no place in formal battle operations in the period anyway so no real loss there.
If anyone does want to put in an order for Gard te Paard please let me know. You may be interested to see the variants I have made up for myself over the next couple of days. I will included the bareheaded trumpeter verson as an option and of course there is a tricorned verson too I think they will look lovely on the table.

Cheers

B
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
EvilGinger
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by EvilGinger » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:30 am

As a related issue & not wishing to hijack the thread.

Barry I would be quite happy to buy extra officers as they are very good & for a skirmish game you need rather more of them than you do musicians & Guidions.

I also have three boxes of Wargames factory horse sitting at home waiting to be made into French light horse. I was waiting for your cavalry to come out in force to turn them into a squadron at a figure ratio of 1:1

:evil: Ginger
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:33 am

The figure is right for the GtP but was designed specifically as a trumpeter for any unit. This means he is production moulded with command sets which, when cast give the associated Officers and Cornets. Clearly these are surplus to requirements but I still have to purchase them from the caster as they are manufactured simultaneuosly. If I add £1.50 per GtP figure to the price then I recover the casting costs and am not operating at a loss if anyone orders a unit of GtP. As they are not a commercially designed offering but a lucky by-product, I am happy to fill a gap in the market as it is a unit often requested but not commercially available from anyone. This means of course, collectors are potentially paying a more expensive price to get the unit they want and so it is really a case of how badly people want these guys, whether they want to pay the extra.

If you were buying 4 pack of cavalry it would cost 4 x £8.50

GtP will be an extra £6.00 on top for a 6 figure squadron (4 of the models are troopers ie 'specials) and the other 2 standard command figrues at normal cost therefore 4 x £1.50 = 6

Gtp with be an extra £13.5 on top for a 12 figure regimetn (9 of the models are troopers ie 'specials) and the other 3 standard command figures ar normal cost therefore 9 x £1.50 = £13.50

This means a full 12 figure unit of GtP are £47.50. Hope that clarifies.

Henry Ford
EvilGinger
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by EvilGinger » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:22 pm

How much would a pack of spare officers cost?

barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:25 am

Well, this option is obviously popular :shock:

Thanks to those who have taken the option to order 8)

Henry Ford
Dfogleman2
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Dfogleman2 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:47 am

EvilGinger wrote:How much would a pack of spare officers cost?

Yes, Barry. I would like to buy command packs without the trumpeters, too.
turrabear
Major General
Major General

Post by turrabear » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:35 am

how long is the gardes te paard offer avialable for .
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:35 am

Gard te Paard offer will be indefinite Mark. No hurry for anyone to order this. There will be a short delay is despatch when ordered by anyone as it will actually have to be cast to order.

Take your time. Also worth endorsing a point make earlier by another member, they could be used for Gardes du Corps also.

Dannie, I had overlooked the earlier request about officers. Probably best of you PM me about at as I would like to know what exactly you are after.
thanks

B

Henry Ford
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:14 pm

Just made up the first GtP orders to go. A little something extra in each... small item but significant!

Henry Ford
simon boulton
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army

Post by simon boulton » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:30 pm

Barry, I'd be interested in buying some extra cornets if they're left over,
Best wishes,
Simon