Siege of Derry on TV

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
Clibinarium
Major
Major

Re: Siege of Derry on TV

Post by Clibinarium » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:23 pm

Dr O Ciardha's accent was pretty striking, though not very Craggy Island, rather more Cavanish (though I think he's from neighbouring Monaghan)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8fITzlPgA0

My Mother's family are from Cavan, and though their accents aren't anywhere near as strong as that, the phrasing is pretty dead on.

Regardless he seems to be an expert on 17th/18th century Jacobitism in Ireland, so I'd like to read that book.

The program itself was a pretty even handed, basic account of the siege which didn't bring anything new to the table if you've read much on the subject. A good introduction which is as much as an hour long TV program could ever manage.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:23 pm

Yup.. agreed. I just watched it. I noted all 'band' footage had voice over or music track which was not the 'authentic sound' of flutes.

I thought very even handed and probably as much as could be consumed by yer average punter who is not into history.

Some of the re enactor gear was quite interesting particularly the chin straps and some of the fancy feathers on infantryman's hats. Probably had some disposable to tart up their uniforms so they could be made out in family video footage! :lol:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Rebel
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Rebel » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:40 pm

Éamonn does indeed come from Monaghan and teaches at Magee Campus in Derry, and "A Fatal Attachment" is an excellent read, but will warn you he isn't a military historian so don't expect unit lists etc etc.

@ Cameronian - Not sure the point. Until 1707 the Kingdoms of England, Ireland and Scotland are precisely that, three separate entities hence the alternate name for the conflict of 1689/91 - The War of the Three Kingdoms - After 1707 it goes down to two and 1784 Ireland is subsumed which leads to the final Act of Union in 1801.

As for the programme itself, I have it but regretfully haven't had a chance to watch it in full but from what I have seen it looks good, although the scriptwriters have misconstrued a number of things. Hope to catch it all over the weekend.

- Mike.
Cameronian
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by Cameronian » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:52 pm

"@ Cameronian - Not sure the point. Until 1707 the Kingdoms of England, Ireland and Scotland are precisely that, three separate entities hence the alternate name for the conflict of 1689/91 - The War of the Three Kingdoms - After 1707 it goes down to two and 1784 Ireland is subsumed which leads to the final Act of Union in 1801."

Politically separate until 1707 and 1800/01. In 1603 the crowns of Scotland and England/Ireland were joined, with James VI/I referring to himself as King of "Great Brittaine"(sic). So any monarch after 1603 is crowned as king/queen of Great Britain; to say that William and Mary were crowned as monarchs of England without mention of the rest of GB is erroneous. Pedantic perhaps, but seems a bit off to me to disregard the rest of the so-called United Kingdom.

The War of The Three Kingdoms as far as I understand it refers to the period 1639 - 1651, commonly used to replace the term English Civil War in reference to all areas of conflict within GB in that time period. I am unaware if this has been extended to the later period you mention.

I must have missed something as I'm not aware of any events in Ireland in 1784 which altered the political map of GB. Always eager to learn, what was it?

Cheers,
George
"You might well think that; I couldn't possibly comment"

http://cameronian-onlyagame.blogspot.com/
http://camcpproj.blogspot.co.uk/
Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:26 pm

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:04 am

I love it when everybody is right..... makes for an easy life :wink:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford