Tangier 1683

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
Redmist1122
Major General
Major General

Tangier 1683

Post by Redmist1122 » Wed May 15, 2013 3:28 pm

Barry or anyone else,
Looking through your pictures in the gallery with the same name, and have a few questions. You mentioned skirmish game as well as I saw the single based figures, were you using the skirmish rules talked about in the forums - Donnybrook? What Moorish figures did you use?

I got a bag of dismounted Arabs from OG25's, I'm sure they will work? I needed one Arab for my 13th Warrior project, and figure the rest for Tangiers.

Anyone else working on a Tangiers project?

Thank you
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Tangier 1683

Post by barr7430 » Wed May 15, 2013 8:08 pm

Yes it is Donnybrook. Dave O'Brien has a full Moorish force.. he is the expert.. I am sure he'll see the thread and respond... I have fought them.... tough opponents :twisted:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Wed May 15, 2013 11:44 pm

barr7430 wrote:Yes it is Donnybrook. Dave O'Brien has a full Moorish force.. he is the expert.. I am sure he'll see the thread and respond... I have fought them.... tough opponents :twisted:
I'm certainly no expert!
The original troops came from ginetes from my 100 years war Spanish army to which was added a load of Moors from an El Cid project which never took off then the last lot are gorgeous renaissance Turks from the Assault Group. What research I've done seems to have shown that the Moors were heavily influenced by Turkish fashion by the time of the Tangiers fighting. Once I can get the camera back off my wife and work doesn't get in the way then I'll and take some pics and post them here.
As a force they seem to be very strong or perhaps it was just the opposition they were facing? :lol:
Hope this helps?
Cheers
Dave
Redmist1122
Major General
Major General

Post by Redmist1122 » Wed May 15, 2013 11:53 pm

Barry and Dave,
Thank you for the insight. What type of weapons are we looking at for the Arabs (mounted and foot)?

Looking forward to the pictures. How many figures did you guys use for both sides? Any army lists you went by?

Thanks again.
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Thu May 16, 2013 12:04 am

One of the great aspects of Donnybrook is that you don't need many figures for a basic game and this depends on what quality of force you take.
A recruit unit is 12 infantry or 9 cavalry a regular unit is 8 infantry or 6 cavalry and veterans are 4 infantry or 3 cavalry.
The basic game involves just 4 units a side plus you can have 4 characters and a leader. A standard game is 6 units and a large game 8 units. If your whole force was recruit you would need a max of 48 infantry 4 characters and a leader whereas if they were all veteran it would only need 16 infantry, 4 characters and a leader for a basic game.

My force allows me to choose from 9 different units and the only compulsory unit is that they must have at least one unit of recruits.
My foot troops have one unit of hand weapons, another of archers and the rest of spearmen but I do have the option to add some musketeers to the force. The cavalry have a mixture of javelins and lances but I could add bows if needed. I also have an artillery piece which has yet to make an outing. I also have a large variety of characters from standard bearers, drummers, officers, warriors, leaders and an Imam as well as a choice of leader figures.
Cheers
Dave
Redmist1122
Major General
Major General

Post by Redmist1122 » Thu May 16, 2013 1:06 am

Dave,
Thank you've been very helpful. I have to look through Old Glory 25's and Foundry for the right figures for the Arabs. Will also have to look at the Arabs I have already and see if they would work...I'm sure they will. I'll be using the North Star - Glory of the Sun figures for the Government troops.

Thanks again.
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Thu May 16, 2013 11:31 am

Redmist1122 wrote: I have to look through Old Glory 25's and Foundry for the right figures for the Arabs. Will also have to look at the Arabs I have already and see if they would work...I'm sure they will.
Personally I don't bother too much about mixing figures from different periods, as long as I'm happy that's what counts. I'll actually be stretching the force even further as I realised a while back that my republican faction for the Vendee could also be used for Napoleon in Egypt so the Moors will be joining the Mameluke hordes and fighting around the pyramids.

The main thing about Donnybrook is that they should be scenario driven games rather than equal forces lining up and blasting each other. The last game we tried even used unequal sides and was a real hoot.

The governors daughter had been captured in a previous raid and was about to be sold at a local slave auction so a force was dispatched to rescue her. The government force started with 4 units on table whereas the Moors only had 2 but at the end of each turn another random Moorish unit card was added to the card deck up to a maximum of 6 units. They could only enter the game when their card came up and we also diced to see where they arrived. Unfortunately for Barry the end of turn card seemed to come up very quickly each turn and he rapidly found himself overwhelmed but it was a great game. Next time I would probably limit the Moors to just 1 unit on table and see how that goes.
Cheers
Dave
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Thu May 16, 2013 7:36 pm

There will be four or five 'generic' scenarios included in the Donnybrook rule book (meeting engagement, raid, last stand, etc), one or two more detailed scenarios with custom built objectives, and some advice on designing your own. We are including a system for building 'balanced' forces for pick up games and to serve as a guide to collecting your forces, but the first paragraph of the section lets you know it's alright to chuck the whole chapter and field what you like with your regular opponents!

Expect to start seeing a lot more info on Donnybrook in the coming month. The rules and factions are finished barring a few edits and the final layout is underway. I know sometimes we reveal projects too earlier and it seems like it takes forever to get them to market with our schedules, so we've kept talk on the game fairly vague for the most part. The public unveiling at Falkirk was kind of the signal to start letting on a bit more! I'll have sample pages and the cover art posted soon and hopefully we'll be sending this off to the printer next month!
toggy
Major General
Major General

Post by toggy » Thu May 16, 2013 8:41 pm

Is that the top shelf " X " rated cover art Clarence :shock: :shock: :shock:

Bob
We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction. Macarthur, Douglas
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Thu May 16, 2013 8:49 pm

Sanctioned by Mrs Harrison I believe... and I must say, there were a few on Saturday taking more time perusing the artwork than is normal... the name of the Inn was also spotted, much to the amusement of those in the know! :lol:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Thu May 16, 2013 9:01 pm

Nonsense! The cover is ART and not subject to such vulgar ratings! My wife did indeed approve the cover after forcing me to replace my original character by making fun of the girl's pose and even referring to her as homely... I showed her!

Besides it's only rated R...
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Fri May 17, 2013 7:48 pm

quindia wrote:Nonsense! The cover is ART and not subject to such vulgar ratings! My wife did indeed approve the cover after forcing me to replace my original character by making fun of the girl's pose and even referring to her as homely... I showed her!
Barry told me it was your wife that posed for the illustration :wink:
Great stuff Clarence!
Cheers
Dave
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Fri May 17, 2013 7:56 pm

Maybe...
Redmist1122
Major General
Major General

Post by Redmist1122 » Sat May 18, 2013 12:18 am

Dave and Clarence,
Order a handful of Artizan figures for the Moors. Look pretty nice for the leadership types, and I figure that my OG25's will fill in the infantry.

Thanks again!
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA
Cheriton
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Cheriton » Sat May 18, 2013 11:27 pm

obriendavid wrote:...last lot are gorgeous renaissance Turks from the Assault Group. What research I've done seems to have shown that the Moors were heavily influenced by Turkish fashion by the time of the Tangiers fighting.

Dave
Dave:

Brilliant, very encouraging. Also planning to use the TAG Turks for "1683", now I have an excuse after decades for pursuing the Tangiers to-do as well, thanks. :)

Cheers,

Michael
"Blessing of your heart you brew good ale."

~ Shakespeare