DONNYBROOK

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
quindia
General
General

DONNYBROOK

Post by quindia » Mon May 27, 2013 1:30 pm

Donnybrook \ˈdä- nē- ˌbruk\ noun, often capitalized – 1. A brawl or fracas; free-for-all, 2. A scene of chaos
Origin: A suburb of Dublin and the site of the Donnybrook Fair, an annual Irish event known for its brawls...

I have been very busy of late working on a new set of rules, this time as an author as well as an artist. These are based on an engine I've been using for games at my house for the last ten years and have used it with everything from Warhammer Fantasy models to 19th century Colonial adventures in Africa. The published version will be called Donnybrook and will be focused on 1660-1760, but if all goes well I could see publishing versions for other periods.

The rules are based on a card driven turn system. At a minimum, a force for a small game consists of one Character and four Units. The Character represents YOU on the table top. The Unit sizes range from four foot or three mounted models to twelve foot or nine mounted models, depending on their quality. Standard size games use six Units and large games use eight. There are eight factions to choose from - Army, Civilian Mob, Covenanters, Cultists, Highlanders, Outlaws, Rapparees, and Tribal. There are optional rules for including additional Characters (one per Unit) and these models come with various abilities to influence the performance of your army - most are unique to your chosen faction.

There will be much more news on this subject, but to start off there will be eleven days of puzzle pieces of the cover art, culminating with the final full cover on the twelfth day...

conflans
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Re: DONNYBROOK

Post by conflans » Mon May 27, 2013 5:12 pm

A puzzle to be revealed. I like it!

Conflans
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Tue May 28, 2013 4:16 am

Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Tue May 28, 2013 4:32 am

quindia wrote:Image
I have the impression you're stirring up the hornets nest again with this tavern sign :lol: :lol:
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
Captain of Dragoons
Major General
Major General

Post by Captain of Dragoons » Tue May 28, 2013 11:11 am

Is BLB/Donnybrook becoming a alternate world with 'Rotten Zombie Pikemen' :lol:

Edward
Captain of Dragoons
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Tue May 28, 2013 2:49 pm

Well, not quite an alternative world but we have brought together a few streams into a little river of adventure I think.....

We have taken a generic concept set of principles used by Clarence over a long period of time, incorporated a fully 'period flavour' for 1660-1760, sprinkled it with a shared interest in 17th century Witchcraft, factions which appealed to our painting and gaming focus and applied the Wordtwister look!
Of course, the Rotting Pike is an 'in joke' on the forum....
We've had fun doing the factions but the game is essentially a straight, period feel, 1 to 1 skirmish rule set with some nice mechanisms and twists. QRS is likely to be a single sided 1 sheet document. Book is a very colourful, fresh looking piece with beautiful artwork (in my opinion Clarence's best illos in any of the joint projects we've done), contributions on figures from Clarence, me, Bob, Dave and others, terrain from Adrian, Clarence and myself and lots of little quirky bits n' pieces in there. We are hoping for an end of summer release. There is even likely to be a special figure produced!
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
toggy
Major General
Major General

Post by toggy » Tue May 28, 2013 4:22 pm

Having recently played 3 totally different scenarios with Dave O'Brien, I can definitely say that Donnybrook is a cracking good game.

We had 3 variants on the Tangiers theme, rescuing captives, raid on a village & attack on an oasis. All 3 games lasted about 60 - 75 minutes, average about 40 figures & were real fun games.

The card system produces an element of chance & uncertainty but gives you plenty of opportunity to move units or characters, as you can attach characters to your units & use their cards to move.

A fun game that you can play comfortably in 2 hours, including setting the game up.

Well done Clarence :D :D :D :D

Bob
We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction. Macarthur, Douglas
Redmist1122
Major General
Major General

Post by Redmist1122 » Tue May 28, 2013 9:46 pm

Sounds great! Looking forward to some skirmish action. I have primed up some Arab mounted and foot for the game system.
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Tue May 28, 2013 11:15 pm

toggy wrote: Well done Clarence :D :D :D :D
Bob
That's not what he was saying in the first two games as my musketeers shot down his cavalry but I got my comeupence in the last game as the cards worked perfectly for his cavalry and they completely destroyed all my infantry, he could hardly get the smug look off his face 8-)
Cheers
Dave
wellington

Post by wellington » Wed May 29, 2013 9:42 am

Quindia

You might like to add a few other meanings of the word Donnybrook to your definitions as it is used here in South County Dublin.

To 'end up in Donnybrook' is to have fallen asleep on the bus home and been taken back to the Donnybrook Bus Station

To be 'playing in Donnybrook' is to be playing rugby at the spiritual home of Leinster rugby.

To 'have a pint in Donnybrook' is to be drinking in Kylies Pub beside the Donnybrook stadium.

To be 'caught up in Donnybrook' is to have joined the queue of traffic heading into central Dublin.

It may take me time to accept Donnybrook as a set of wargames rules

Kevin
Emir of Askaristan
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Emir of Askaristan » Wed May 29, 2013 11:33 am

After playing VWQ again last night, I'm looking forward to see how you have approached a card driven skirmish game.

Appetite whetted!
All the Best

The Emir
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Wed May 29, 2013 12:04 pm

barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Wed May 29, 2013 2:33 pm

Wellington,

I love the other meanings for Donnybrook 8) Maybe we WILL incorporate that into our little spiel at the beginning.

Incidentally for those who have never met Mr Harrison face to face he does appear somewhere on the cover of the new book in a fairly accurate likeness!
I spotted him straightaway during the early stages of production. He ALWAYS makes himself look like a sort of Hollywood hero, whilst I fulfil the role of villainous Brit.... my God, lucky I'm a mere Scot, if I'd have been English he would have had me looking even more ugly.... no offence English Friends it's just that Hollywood likes ALL of its villains to be English... still sore about the revolution you see :lol: :lol: :lol:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Wed May 29, 2013 3:00 pm

Benefit of having control of the brush!
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Wed May 29, 2013 4:25 pm

barr7430 wrote:....Incidentally for those who have never met Mr Harrison face to face he does appear somewhere on the cover of the new book in a fairly accurate likeness!
I spotted him straightaway during the early stages of production. He ALWAYS makes himself look like a sort of Hollywood hero, whilst I fulfil the role of villainous Brit.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
let's see, I think I can solve this...problem:

Tada: The villain and his victims...just look at this ugly face :twisted:
historicon-0055.jpg
historicon-0055.jpg (170.11 KiB) Viewed 13101 times
And the Hero is waiting in the background :wink: :D
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.