Under the Lilly Banners - With you at last!

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
PaulMc
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Dragoons

Post by PaulMc » Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:40 pm

Hi Barry,

The accounts say that their movement problems are precisely to do with their riding boots. From James Falkner's 'Great and Glorious Days' he mentions an attack on Taviers at Ramillies by 14 squadrons from the King's, Notat, La Reine and d'Aubigni dragoon regiments, supported by 2 battallions of the Greder Suisse regiment. They were cut to pieces by the Dutch guards and Danish cavalry, becoming entangled in marshy ground, here he mentions the dragoons being particularly clumsy due to their riding boots.

This is probably one of the better examples I've found. However after having read of the penalties they receive in the rules I feel that they are more than enough, otherwise I reckon most people would become disinclined to use them at all.

Paul
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

IN DEFENCE OF DRAGOONS

Post by barr7430 » Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:26 am

On paper it doesn't sound like dragoons have much going for them but they can be very useful in a game:

1.A rapid advance to hold a position or feature until the infantry arrive.

2. Flanking fire on an enemy advance

3. `Forlorn hope' type activity either by holding an outpost or advanced position(in defence)

During scenario construction, a couple of minutes spent thinking about how such troops can make the game more interesting creates all sorts of possibilities. I rememeber in our Overjise game(see WARCHEST/Published Articles/Size is everything) a small French Dragoon Brigade held a ruined abbey directly in front of the Allied line of attack. This `annoyance' had to be cleared and caused considerable disruption for several turns despite the dragoons being outnumbered about 30 to 1!

So, please don't give up on the Dragoons!!!! :lol:

B
Clibinarium
Major
Major

Post by Clibinarium » Sat Mar 26, 2005 8:50 pm

Hi,

Could you email me the rules, I appear to have joined the newsletter just after they went out.

Thanks in advance

Clibinarium
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sat Mar 26, 2005 9:04 pm

There have been quite a few requests for the rules so I will resend the link to all subscribers over the next day or so

Cheers

Barry
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:36 am

Barry

Just a very short note to add to the comments of everyone above. I think "Under the Lilly Banners" looks fantastic and, on a read through a couple of times now, everything seems to fit together very well. I'm now looking forward to testing the rules out at one of our games at the St Albans club in May and will be sure to let you know how we get on. Can't wait to see the event cards and other bits about capturng colours to complete the seventeenth century battle experience! As an aside, have you decided where you may be "showing" the Sedgemoor demo game you have been building? It looks like being a really special event, and I was hopful of being able to see it.

Adam
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sedgemoor & ULB

Post by barr7430 » Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:45 pm

Hi Adam,

thanks for the kind words, verz much appreciated. Sedgemoor is scheduled for First Partizan at Newark in late May and I'm not sure where after that. I expect it to be a reasonably compact game as the battle was rather small so mazbe I'll take it along to another couple of shows if the opportunity arises.

On the subject of the additions to ULB I am working on them even as we speak! you'll probably have noticed that the site has not been updated with pictures for the last two days as I am out of the country on biz and unable to upload. Accessing the forum via net cafe.When travelling I do the writing stuff instead of the painting stuff!!

All the best

B

And PS

Let me know how the playtest goes! :)
Sgt Steiner
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Sgt Steiner » Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:09 pm

Hi

Having just registered today am I too late to get a copy of these rules ?

Cheers
"Merry it was to laugh there-where death becomes absurd and life absurder. For power was on us as we slashed bones -. Not to feel sickness or remorse of murder." Wilfred Owen
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Updates for ULB

Post by barr7430 » Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:50 am

An updated version of ULB will be ready within the week including the rules for capturing colours.

Also available will be a quick reference playsheet, movement markers(for printing) and depleted command markers.

Links to all of the above will be sent to Subscribers in the usual manner.

I have made a few corrections and clarifications in the main body of the rules so worthwhile just checking against the Rev1 copy currently available to you all.

Cheers

Barry 8)
Dfogleman2
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Under tghe Lily Banners

Post by Dfogleman2 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:47 pm

I just subscribed to the Newsletter. How can I get these rules?
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:40 am

New version with be uploaded very soon. You will automatically get an e mail with the link to download.

cheers

B :wink:
Anonymous

Copy of rules

Post by Anonymous » Mon May 02, 2005 8:58 pm

Hi Barry,
I also have resently joined your group can you send me a copy of your rules for WSS/LOA
cheers
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon May 02, 2005 9:17 pm

Hi KiwiRed,

if that is Wilf, then I've seen your name on the Newsletter subscriber list so you'll definitely get them!!

Best

Barry
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Revision 2 of Under the Lilly Banners

Post by barr7430 » Thu May 05, 2005 11:06 am

I have uploaded the latest revision of ULB onto the server today. The link to Subscribers should get to you within 24 hours. There are substantial changes to the text in various places, additional rules including those covering `capture of enemy colours and other bits and pieces.

I did not get round to the Event cards. Those will appear in Rev3 together with points values so that armies can be constructed on a `competitive basis' ... :roll: did I really say that??? :oops:

Army Lists after that maybe.

Enjoy :D

Barry
azeroth
Captain
Captain

Post by azeroth » Fri May 06, 2005 5:19 pm

Hi Barry,

Been working away this week and getting my email on the fly as it were, I think one of two things happened, either i didn't get the link or i deleted the email by accident. In either case can you resend it to me please?

IanB
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Fri May 06, 2005 8:27 pm

Ian and any one else puzzled by the whereabouts of the link fear not!

It hasn't gone out yet! Stuart has been really busy and he does the Link uploads and main page refreshes. I do the text and pics. I think he will have it up tonight or tomorrow :D
Sorry for the confusion! :oops: