English Train of Artillery uniforms in Flanders 1692-3

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
Hastati
Private
Private

English Train of Artillery uniforms in Flanders 1692-3

Post by Hastati » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:00 am

Ok, as I begin to assemble my Anglo-Dutch army and read, and buy, more reference material I am left scratching my head a bit about English uniforms for the artillery train in Flanders. Grant and Sapherson give details for Ireland and post 1695 in Flanders. So, my question, perhaps a silly one, is did the uniforms in Flanders for the early 1690s remain the same as those used in Ireland (blue coats lined orange/red) given how often colours could change? Apologies if this seems stupid to ask, but I would like my troops to be relatively historically correct in appearance.
Churchill
General
General

Re: English Train of Artillery uniforms in Flanders 1692-3

Post by Churchill » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:57 am

Ray
Last edited by Churchill on Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hastati
Private
Private

Post by Hastati » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:25 pm

Ray,
Which one of Chandler's books provides that description? For the period I'm interested in, 1692-3, that seems to contradict both Sapherson and Grant on the train of artillery (unless I'm reading the entries incorrectly). The uniform you describe they state is the post-1697 uniform.
David
Captain of Dragoons
Major General
Major General

Post by Captain of Dragoons » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:58 pm

Hello Hastati,

Chandler has a chapter on the English Artillery Train in his 'Blenheim preparation: the English army on the march to the Danube'. IIRC he talks about both the English Train and the Dutch Train for the Grand Alliance in Flanders.

Uniforms were just starting to make an appearance, the same with standing armies. The Artillery Train would have a mixture of professional officers/gunners, manual labour from the infantry battalions and civilian contractors as wagon drivers, blacksmiths, etc.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Edward
Captain of Dragoons