Guidebook to the Battle of the Boyne

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
Anonymous

Guidebook to the Battle of the Boyne

Post by Anonymous » Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:45 am

Strange the way things happen.

I fractured two ribs last Sunday morning playing hurling (very fast Irish field game, played with weighty pieces of wood, a small hard ball and 30 lunatics). Had to go for another X-ray this morning so went into Hodges Figgis (big bookstore in Dublin) to load up for the obligatory several hour wait at the hospital.

Found - of all things - a small 80 page book called "The battle of the Boyne 1690 : A guide to the battlefield", published by...wait for it....the Boyne Valley Honey Company :shock: :shock: :shock: . No, its not the painkillers talking!!!

It's absolutely stunning. The book is by Harman Murtagh, who's published several articles on the period in the Irish Sword, a journal on Irish military history. The book also has some beautifully atmospheric colour plates by Richard Hook, an excellent potted military history of the campaign leading up to the battle, great photos of various battlesites taken from the air, a number of situational maps (Oldbridge is excellent) and an audio CD which is a narrated tour of the battlefield, with period music and sound effects 8).

The book was priced at EU 14.95 in Hodges Figgis (that's about 10-12 GBP). The inside cover says that it's available from www.boynevalleyhoney.com however when I tried to log onto the site it was stated to be still "under construction". You might be better off trying to order it directly from Hodges Figgis. No website, but their number is +353 (0)1 677-4754. You could also try a branch of Waterstones in the UK. Hodges is part of the Waterstones group, as far as I know.

I'm giving the ISBN here: 0951782339. This should be useful if you want a branch of Waterstones to order it in for you.

I've also just noticed that Amazon.co.uk has it listed, as follows:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Battle-Boyne-16 ... 16?ie=UTF8

Availability seems to be a bit limited.

Good hunting!
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:31 am

great tip! :idea: I'm going to try and get it :D
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
parkinspieces
Major
Major

Battle of the Boyne 1690: A guide to the Battlefield

Post by parkinspieces » Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:31 am

If like me, Amazon have let you down in getting this book, I've just clicked on The Boyne Valley Honey Company website and it is now working and available :lol: . Look in their Book Store and there it is along with A Drummer Boys Story recently published. This last one appears to be for younger readers but it say's it is an historical account as seen through the eyes of a boy, one for your lad then Barry or do they actually teach kids in Scotland proper history unlike as it appears down here in Derbyshire!! :x
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:33 pm

Yes our kids get proper history of...

Australia, Canada, Europe, Swaziland, what? did I hear you say Scotland?

Eh, no, we don't do that sort of thing here, too nationalistic, can't go teaching the kids about their own country might start a revolution, then we'll be digging a big trench from the Solway to Berwick and filling it with gunboats... don't come too far north Mr Parkin, you'll get stopped at checkpoint McCharlie!!!

Anyway, any kid who wants to know about the history of Scotland should do the following:

1. Watch Braveheart
2. Watch the Scotland v England game in 1967
3. Watch Celtic win the European Cup in Lisbon in 1967
4. Read an Ian Rankin book then an Irvine Welsh book(then throw up)
5. Eat a haggis supper
6. Drink Iron brew
7. Take class A -
8. Go and see the Krankies in Panto
9. Buy some shortbread

There, that's about it - should get into University now :wink:

Henry Ford
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:34 pm

Bye the way have you GOT the damn Boyne book yet?????

Henry Ford
parkinspieces
Major
Major

Boyne Valley book

Post by parkinspieces » Fri May 11, 2007 11:38 am

In answer to you question Barry, YES, I ordered it direct, it seemed to only way :x .So I will let you know how it goes, unless you've ordered it direct yourself? In which case, great minds think a like :wink:
parkinspieces
Major
Major

Post by parkinspieces » Tue May 15, 2007 4:29 pm

Barry, just to let you know that it arrived today :lol: Not bad for saying I only ordered it from them last Friday. Very nice illustrations no wonder Alec from Front Rank was impressed with it :wink:
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Tue May 15, 2007 7:35 pm

I need to get it... come on Stuart, just give me the details! :wink:

Where?
How Much?
ta 8)

Henry Ford
Spiraluk
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army

Post by Spiraluk » Tue May 15, 2007 8:33 pm

Just ordered it :wink:
Bill T

"Here to add tone to an otherwise vulgar brawl"
www.musketeer-miniatures.com
parkinspieces
Major
Major

Post by parkinspieces » Wed May 16, 2007 8:25 pm

Barry, all I did was to follow the link in the original post at the top to the Boyne Valley Ltd and went to their Book Store and ordered a copy (including the Drummer boy one but hasn't really any illustrations) via pay pal.
The 2 books came to a total of 28.23 Euros. The Guide book 12.99 Euros, the Drummer Boy's story 7.99 Euros, postage for both was 7.25 Euros, this all came to £19.76 Sterling at an exchange rate of 1.42874 at the time of ordering. I felt, like Alec of FR, that the booklet was worth ordering, it may not have much new info for an expert 8) like you, but I do like the illustration of the Buff coloured coated Dragoons, the first unit on my list along with their fur head gear :lol:
parkinspieces
Major
Major

Post by parkinspieces » Wed May 16, 2007 8:33 pm

Just clicked on the Musketeer Miniature link above and they have a truly insirational pic of a base of GNW Swedes by the very talented Dave Imrie, fantastic :shock: Really looking forward to seeing them on your game Barry at Partizan next weekend :wink: