Franco-Dutch War 1672-78

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
kingscarbine
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Franco-Dutch War 1672-78

Post by kingscarbine » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:09 am

Hi,

I'm looking for online resources for the period (memoires, histories, iconography, wargaming articles, scenarios, etc). I've already found some great blogs and sites. There are many downloadable books available so what should I look for in Google and the Internet Archive?

Cheers
Motorway
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Re: Franco-Dutch War 1672-78

Post by Motorway » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:54 am

As it was mainly a French-Dutch War most of the sources are either in French or in Dutch. As it was a propaganda war as well, contemporary works like paitings, pamphlets and books should be read with great caution.

Most of the pamphlets can be found on the Dutch National Museum Site, www.rijksmuseum.nl which can be accessed in English as well. The Dutch Royal Library has some nice works as well, but you need membership (quite cheap) to access all the online sources like EEBO.

Period writers and artists on the dutch side were Bouttats, Romeyn de Hooghe, and the writers Aitzema, Sylvius or Lambertus van de Bos(ch), most of their books can be found online on Google Books.

On the French side there's Gallica of course, the works of Lynn, and a search for Turenne on Google Books will help as well.

The fun part for me is the search in the local archives, town halls and musea and I am very fortunate with the presence of the local University and provincial musea.
kingscarbine
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by kingscarbine » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:30 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the tips. There are lots of Dutch and German books but unfortunately I can't read those and there must be something in Spanish but I haven't found anything yet. The material available is overwhelming and I'm pleasantly surprised to see so many digitalized maps and illustrations.
kingscarbine
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by kingscarbine » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:11 am

Hi,

I'm looking for Volume 8 of "Histoire militaire du règne de Louis-le-Grand, roi de France..." by Charles Sevin, Marquis de Quincy. Volume 8 is a treatise on the art of war, also published separately as "L’Art de la guerre" in two volumes.

I've searched the usual places to no avail. Does anyone know where I can find a digital copy online?

Cheers
Clibinarium
Major
Major

Post by Clibinarium » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:23 pm

A little bit of googling brought this;

Which links to this
kingscarbine
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by kingscarbine » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:16 pm

:D Thanks! How I missed that site and the Google books is a mystery. With a little more googling I found Volume 1.

Cheers
Clibinarium
Major
Major

Post by Clibinarium » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:24 pm

I didn't find it initially either, only when I added "Tome 8" to the search did it work.