New guy with a question

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
blackbeard
Private
Private

New guy with a question

Post by blackbeard » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:50 pm

Hi all, new here I am currently doing a Saxon Army for the late 1690's and i need to find a decent source for flags any ideas
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Re: New guy with a question

Post by Friedrich August I. » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:52 pm

blackbeard wrote:Hi all, new here I am currently doing a Saxon Army for the late 1690's and i need to find a decent source for flags any ideas
Welcome to the forum!
I think I may offer you a bit of help herewith. You may try to obtain a digiticed copy of Hottenroth's "Geschichte der sächsischen Fahnen und Standarten"
It is of german origin and you may order a copy here:
http://www.historischer-bilderdienst.de ... darten.php

May I ask what brought you to this time line in the history of the Saxon Army?

Günter
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:38 pm

Gunter is being a little modest here.. he is a bit of an authority on the Saxons of the period

http://leagueofaugsburg.blogspot.co.uk/ ... f-blb.html

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3628

He was also responsible for Clarence designing these:

http://www.leagueofaugsburg.com/shop/pr ... cat-8.html

Possibly the most comprehensive, accurate and best range of Saxon flags for the period currently available.

You came to the right place!
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:06 am

barr7430 wrote:Gunter is being a little modest here.. he is a bit of an authority on the Saxons of the period

Should the Saxon Army be pre-Great Northern War or at his Start when you write late 1690's? The earliest Flags I know of this date are to be found here:

http://wayback.archive.org/web/20081203 ... 0-1716.pdf

You will find in there flags how they have looked like in 1700. Adjust the background of the Flag to the colour of the Infantry Regiment you want to do. Try to remember that before 1698 the Flags bear the 'Kurhut' or Electoral cap and not a Crown.

Hope that helps
Günter

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
blackbeard
Private
Private

Post by blackbeard » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:24 am

Thanks guys.

@Gunter Information was very helpful. The army I am building is using the FOGR rules and they cut off just before the great northern war.
blackbeard
Private
Private

Post by blackbeard » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:28 am

Also the flags that be bought from this site are they 25 or 15mm
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:32 am

blackbeard wrote:Also the flags that be bought from this site are they 25 or 15mm
If you referring to the link to the shop here the size depends on what you need! You tell Barry the scale you need and he will print them for you.
The flags of this time have been pretty big - 2,50m on the hoist and 3,55m on the fly...just reduce them in scale to the size of your minis :wink:

danschorr
Major
Major

Post by danschorr » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:46 pm

Information on Saxon colours and standards pre-1697 is extremely difficult to come by. Hottenroth (Geschichte der sächsischen Fahnen und Standarten) provides this:
“Each company carried a standard or a colour whose field was in the facing color of the coat. These colours and standards were of the type from the time of the Thirty Years War that is they had symbolic [allegorical] pictures, mottos, coats of arms or monograms and also the Rautenkranz”. This description might only apply to infantry regiments because cavalry (cuirassier) regiments had no facing color on their uniform, although I have recently came across a source that provides the color of some of the standards.

Plate 10, numbers 1 and 2, in my booklet to which Günter referred you represent two colours from the pre-1697 period. However, I must point out that number 1 is incorrect. I have since discovered new information on its appearance, but have not gotten around to changing it.

Plate 11, numbers 5 and 6, also represent colours pre-1697. They were taken from the Arsenal and issued to a new regiment in 1705, but lost to the Swedes in 1706.

Günter’s recommendation that you modify the flags numbers 3 and 4 on Plate 10 by changing the crown to a kurhut would not work as the monogram is FARP or Freidrich August King of Poland. Also the use palm branches date from around 1700, not before.

I hope this is of some help. If you need any more assistance, please PM me.

Regards,

Dan
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:58 am

blackbeard wrote:Also the flags that be bought from this site are they 25 or 15mm
We can print the flags for any scale you like...
blackbeard
Private
Private

Post by blackbeard » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:32 pm

Ok so I have all the info I need to paint Saxon army and some lovely looking flags, but, I dont seem to have any info on how the general would hvae worn. I am assuming red jackets and a splash of gold here and there but what about cuffs and breaches etc etc
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:19 pm

blackbeard wrote:Ok so I have all the info I need to paint Saxon army and some lovely looking flags, but, I dont seem to have any info on how the general would hvae worn. I am assuming red jackets and a splash of gold here and there but what about cuffs and breaches etc etc
If I take your question correct You ask about the look of generals, right?

If so, think about them as gentlemen, Knights, Landlords, high ranking members of the local nobility therefore no uniform exists as anybody would provide what their moneybeg can buy :wink:.

EvilGinger
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by EvilGinger » Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:47 am

They might have looked like flashier versions of their troops as more junior officers tended to, but at this period every thing they & the more junior officers for that matter, wore was private purchase & no nation had any dress regulations for senior officers so they wore what they wanted on the day. Only caveats it was likely to be expensive, & look it, bullion lace, real gold or silver buttons bright colours & often be the cutting edge of fashion.

:evil: Ginger
delbruck
Private
Private

Post by delbruck » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:17 am

August has a red coat with gold lace in this portrait

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... russia.PNG
blackbeard
Private
Private