Tangiers question

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
yar68
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Tangiers question

Post by yar68 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:59 pm

I'm thinking of perhaps painting up some 25mm Warfare figures for English Tangiers using the new Donnybrook rules and was thinking what figures to use for the Moroccans. I saw the Tangiers Donnybrook game in the gallery and have already got stacks of the Gripping Beast Moors, which i could use, but do you think the Moroccans would have had some kind of musket or gun as well as the spear and sheild??
And can anyone point me in the direction of a book on the period, I've searched online and can't really find anything apart from a book written in 1905..... Help!
Ray

Yay...I say yay..............Yay!

http://onelover-ray.blogspot.com/
Redmist1122
Major General
Major General

Re: Tangiers question

Post by Redmist1122 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:42 pm

Ray,
I was feeling your frustration several months ago on the Moroccans. If you email me, I found a free pdf called, "North African Dress and Equipment", and send it to you.

I've been using Artizen Designs Moors & Berber figures and their Moroccan rifle guys for their firing element. A U.S. based company here was clearing out their line and I got a significant discount when I bought them out. When I field a Tangiers unit, I have a very small contingent armed w/muskets. The Tangiers or Moors would fall under the "Tribal War Party", so not many guys will be armed w/muskets. I have about a half & half force of mounted and dismounted. I even have a camel unit.

So Ray, email me.
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA
yar68
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by yar68 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:59 pm

Excellent, I've emailed you Greg! :D
Ray

Yay...I say yay..............Yay!

http://onelover-ray.blogspot.com/
Rebel
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Rebel » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:50 pm

Ray,

if you want a history of the place under British rule, then the best two are Tangier - England's Lost Atlantic Outpost by Routh which was published in 1912 (by far the #1) and then Smithers' Tangiers Campaign. Corbett's England in the Mediterranean is also a vintage work, but also has some useful stuff albeit mainly from a naval perspective which is also echoed in Pepys' Tangier Papers.

Apart from that there are a number of print on demand regimental histories about (e.g. History of the Queen's 2nd Royal Regiment by John Davis) which also have a lot of info in them once you hit the right seam.

Mike.
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:05 pm

Ray, I also added Azab figures from TAG to my Moorish force, although not part of the Turkish empire the Moors were still influenced by them.
Cheers
Dave