Question about painting Régiment de Maine

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
raif
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Question about painting Régiment de Maine

Post by raif » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:02 am

hi folks,

i have the Crisis Miniature from Marquis de Séguiran, Sieur de Bouc, Colonel du Régiment de Maine. He should be killed 1703 at the Battle of Eckeren. So i am looking for informations about the uniform colors of the Régiment de Maine in 1703. I have the Book "The Armies and Uniforms of Marlborough's Wars Vol I and II". But i couldn't find any Infos about this Regiment in the Books.

Did anyone here could help me and give me infos about this Regiment and their Uniform-Colors?

thanks guys!
alex
Eugenio von Savoy
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army

Re: Question about painting Régiment de Maine

Post by Eugenio von Savoy » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:10 pm

Hi Alex
Grey white coat with Blue cuff/lining
Black tricorn hat with yellow edge
White waistcoat and breeches
Grey stockings

Standard
white cross
1st upper hoist and 3rd lower fly quarter yellow
2nd upper fly and 4th lower hoist quarters red

Check photographs in my post regarding the battle of Almansa

Regards

Tim Whitworth
'Like a stone wall' Wargames Group
Nottinghamshire
UK
http://www.freewebs.com/like-a-stone-wall/
"Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak, Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen."
Sir Winston Churchill,
raif
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by raif » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:56 am

morning tim!

thank you very much for your feedback! do you have any infos, if the uniforms of the officers had differences? ie gold edges instead of yellow edges on the tricorns, etc.?
El Cid
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by El Cid » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:31 pm

Maybe I can help you, Raif.

The officers were dressed conform with their corps. All units had hats bordered in silver (white) or gold (yellow) with cockades attached to the agraffes around the buttons. This is confirmed by the report in the Mercure Galant *1).

*1) Mercure Galant 1698 : L'Infanterie se distingue de même par les paremens, les vestes, les bas & les rubans sur l'épaule. Tous les Officiers sont vestus d'un bon drap gris avec des boutons & des boutonnieres & un bord d'or ou d'argent sur les paremens de la couleur de ceux de leurs Soldats.

Source:
FLAGS AND UNIFORMS OF THE FRENCH INFANTRY
UNDER LOUIS XIV 1688-1714
by Robert Hall
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:38 pm

Sorry to Hi-Jack this thread but....
" Sags ihm auf deutsch!" :D :D

Funny that a Austrian tells an Austrian on an English Forum how to do something in english :lol:

Yes, yes I know! I do it also!! :twisted:
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
raif
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by raif » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:16 am

Doppelt lustig, weil der walter und ich uns schon länger kennen! :D

But in a english spoken forum it would be a good idea to write in the language the majority can read. :D

Back to topic - thanks walter! I had believed that between officer and ordinary soldiers would be more differences! Ok. So my sir will get a golden edge on his tricorne.

An other question - the color of the sash, white? The dutch had orange, what i know.
El Cid
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by El Cid » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:49 pm

But in a english spoken forum it would be a good idea to write in the language the majority can read
That's the way it is 8)

On we go:

"An ordinance of 1672 forbade officers to wear gold or silver on their clothes or saddleclothes. As mentioned above, on the 26th of March in 1698 at the Camp de Compiegne (Carnot) the minister reminded officers that the King had only demanded that they should be dressed uniformly, that is to say in cloth the same colour as the men’s dress. On the 11th of April he recalled that the officers of infantry were all to wear uniform and that captains were permitted to have a (metal coloured) border which subaltern officers were not allowed to have. In June he was informed that
officers of certain infantry regiments were dressed in red or blue although the soldiers were in grey. They were informed that this lack of uniformity would not be suffered and that they were to dress in the same colour as their men. This is confirmed by Quincy: the coats of captains, apart from buttonholes in gold or silver, were distinguished by a border of gold or silver while lieutenants had solely buttonholes in gold or silver. Note that officers sometimes had gold lace and buttons in regiments where the men had tin.
The „Recueils Caugé“ of 1698 (cited by Boeri) say that all captains and officers were to receive new spontoons matching in length and colour and metal parts with a length of seven and a half feet."

Sashes for officers were (normally) white, i.e. in the royal colour.
raif
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by raif » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:50 pm

ok, now i have a question about the right painting of the parts i have red circled on the pics.

should i paint these parts with the french grey/white as well, or are these golden parts like the buttons?

El Cid
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by El Cid » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:29 pm

Both variations are correct (or not).

Higher officers could have only Buttons or Buttons and lace, it depended on the officer.
raif
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by raif » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:54 am

El Cid wrote:Both variations are correct (or not).

Higher officers could have only Buttons or Buttons and lace, it depended on the officer.
hi walter,

if i am correct, then this picture shows uniforms from the 17th century. were there not differences about the regulations beginning the 18th century?

but, if there are no other references, i will paint the laces on the frontside golden and the backside in the same color like the coat (greywhite).
El Cid
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by El Cid » Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:59 pm

This picture shows uniforms etc from "the last third of the XVIIth century", i.e. 1667 - 1700.

So now .......

another one: French Officer c. 1696

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_4QlVRfDC7rs/S ... 533910.jpg

maybe this one helps

and in the Anne S.K. Brown collection exists a Picture of a French Officer c. 1684 (Mallet: Les Travaux de Mars) with lace at the front of the coat - both sides

a picture is to be seen in Osprey MAA 203 - Loius XIV's Army, page 34

unfortunately I didn't find one in the www