Elector Max Emmanuel

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
DHautpol
Private
Private

Elector Max Emmanuel

Post by DHautpol » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:53 pm

Some members may recall the series of illustrations by Gabriel Mykaj that appeared in Wargames Illustrated some 25 years ago.

In particular, WI 25 (September 1989) carried a print of "Bavarian Field Officers" depicting Max Emmanuel and and unnamed general from the 1690's wearing crimson/dark red coats with light blue cuffs (and presumably linings).

The question I am asking in the hope that someone can point me towards an answer is – did Bavarian generals continue to wear such coats in the WSS or had they, at some stage, switched to wearing blue coats (possibly lined red)?

I realise that some generals, as regimental 'chefs', might wear their regiment's coat or that some might not wear miltary uniform at all and continue in civilian clothing.

Any thoughts?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
turrabear
Major General
Major General

Re: Elector Max Emmanuel

Post by turrabear » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:32 pm

this might not be much help . but in Michael mcnallys excellent osprey book on ramillies there is an illustration of max Emmanuel wearing a blue coat with red cuffs hevaly laced in gold.
Old John
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army

Post by Old John » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:23 am

see the following booklets which may help

Hoffman's Army of the Blue King
Wilson's Bavarian Army 1685 to 1715
Editions Brokaw Danes,Bavarians & Prussians

also suggest a Google search for "Army of the Blue King", turns up a fair few images

cheers Old John
CWK
Private
Private

Post by CWK » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:27 pm

As far as I know there hadn't been any regulations of the uniforms of the higher ranking officers during Max II. Emmanuel's reign - there had been many freedoms in choosing the uniform.

Besides the uniform colours of their regiments they often wore - according to contemporary paintings - blue uniforms with blue or red cuffs or red coats with blue cuffs. Broad golden laces had been on pockets, seams and cuffs. Buttons made out of metal. Jabots had been available since the 18th century (fashion... :roll: ). Waistcoats had been red with small golden linings. Trousers red or yellow (if showed riding) and black boots.

Shade of blue: Debatable. :D

According to Staudinger's History of the 2nd Royal Bavarian Infantry Regiment (Kurprinz in 1693) one sample of fabric used for the regiment's coats in 1703 had survived in one of the files in the War archive (due to communication with a manufacturer/trader in Ulm). He wrote that it was a nuance darker than the blue used in the 1880s...
DHautpol
Private
Private

Post by DHautpol » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:04 pm

Many thanks.