Unit Frontage in BTLB

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
MNFS
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Unit Frontage in BTLB

Post by MNFS » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:04 am

Hi There,

I see from the pictures of the BTLB games on the site that infantry units are 3 bases wide, but cavalry are 2 bases wide.

Is there a historical reason for this?

Also are cavalry usually deployed 1 or 2 deep?

Thanks,

Mark
Mulciber
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Re: Unit Frontage in BTLB

Post by Mulciber » Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:32 pm

Hi Mark, looking at the orbats as reckoned for The Boyne, for example, the infantry regiments were roughly twice the manpower of a cavalry regiment on average but a cavalry unit would take up more space on the ground than the same number of infantrymen. So it makes sense to have fewer bases in some instances. Hope that makes sense.

Cheers,

Toby
Churchill
General
General

Re: Unit Frontage in BTLB

Post by Churchill » Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:28 pm

Hi Mark,

On your question of depth all depend's on the Horse or Dragoon regimental strength.
In BLB it's normally between 1 to 4 squadrons in strength, historically some regiments were even stronger up to 9 squadrons.
If you read some battle accounts most cavalry operated in Brigades, these being of one, two or three regiments per brigade.
Take the Gendamerie de France which had a regimental strength of 8 squadrons and was a brigade within itself.
I have my Horse and Dragoon regiments in ranks of a single squadron and depending on the number of squadrons in that regiment as to how many ranks i.e. Lumley's Horse of 3 squadrons in 3 ranks.
In BLB you can use the "All or Nothing" charge once in a game, this gives you all the front squadron, half the second squadron and half the third squadron in the initial melee.

Hope this helps,

Ray.