1689 Ireland question - any Guardian Angels out there?

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

1689 Ireland question - any Guardian Angels out there?

Post by barr7430 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:53 pm

I am trying to identify the composition of the 2,500 man force with which Lieutenant General Richard Hamilton marched into east Ulster in about March 5th 1689. They started in Dublin. They consisted of Horse, Dragoons and Foot and 5 or so guns. The moved from Dublin to Drogheda crossed the Bann through Banbridge to Dromore, Hillsborough on to Coleraine, NewtownLimavady, Strabane and ultimately to Londonderry around April 17th. battle accounts imply 2-3 battalions of Foot (anywhere between 900 and 1800 possibly, possibly 1 or 2 regiments of Horse and one of dragoons would roughly make the numbers right.

I have a good(but not definitive list of the units at Derry and those amount to about 13-14 battalions of Foot, 5-7 regiments of Horse, 203 of Dragoons. Clearly Hamilton's regiments are some of the units on that big list but they are difficult to identify by name on the march and campaign before Derry.

Dominic Sheldon was the commander of Horse with this force.

Thanks if anyone has got something, I have spent hours crawling through various books for a glimpse of a name and so far.. nowt!
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford