Dragoon organisation for Lily Banners

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
Graham Knight

Post by Graham Knight » Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:27 pm

Barry
Could you clarify the unit organisation for Dragoon units, please? The basing section clearly indicates basing them as for infantry, and I assumed that they would have three bases of 6 figures. Mounted would be three squadrons. However, I noticed in your photographs that there were two units each of 2 bases holding the enclosure in the 1689 advanced guard action. Being new to this period I would appreciate a prompt as to how you interpret Dragoon unit size, since I assume that you find it works well under your rules.
Many thanks
Graham Knight
Graham
Brussels
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Dragoons

Post by barr7430 » Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:22 pm

Hi Graham,

a little more on dragoons;

Mounted dragoons are based as per cavalry. Usually the units are two squadrons(very occasionally one and also occasionally three - my Dutch Garde Dragonders Eppinger's are of this type).

The standard two squadron dragoon units dismount as two musket armed bases of infantry as seen in the photo. The three squadron units dismount as three bases of infantry. I would not bother dismounting a one squadron unit is it would be relatively useless. I decided not to go for `horse holder' bases and a further reduction in figure strength as I felt the units would become unviable and unattractive to use in a game. Of course, horse holder bases could be used as an aesthetic. Hmmm.... idea :idea:

My French Dragoons tend to be `brigaded' whilst my Alliance dragoons either appear mixed with the Horse or as individual `battalions' on the flanks or holding some objective. Unsupported dismounted dragoons are very brittle both from a casualty and morale perspective so this should be a deployment consideration.

I have never allocated `points values' to figures in this period but it is a thought if Gamers wanted to compete with equally `pointed' armies. Might do that as an add on :idea: Stems from my general phobia about competition gaming!!! :shock: The reason I mention this is that dragoons would be low point value if fielded as exclusively dismounted whilst their mounted/dismounted option would carry a higher PV.

Hope this helps.

Barry
Graham Knight

Post by Graham Knight » Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:36 pm

Barry
Thanks for the additional information - very useful. Taking on board your other comments am going for initial forces of
7 Command figures
6 Bns
9 Sqdns (may include additional Dragoon units)
2 Sqdn Dragoon Unit for dismounts.
2 Field Guns
Per side.
1.Its paintable in a reasonable time
2.It provides for enough variation for some opening small actions.
Cheers
Graham
Graham
Brussels