Uniforms of the Irish Brigade

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
The Wild Goose

Uniforms of the Irish Brigade

Post by The Wild Goose » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:31 am

Hello,

This is my first posting on the forum. I have one question regarding the uniforms of the Irish brigade (in French Service) in 1690's. Did they have coloured ribbons on their right shoulder as other French Infantry Regiments, or not? Currently I am assuming that as they were still formally part of James II's army, the uniform would have been close to English Army, and uniformed Jacobite regiments in Ireland.

Thank you in advance for any answers.
The Wild Goose

Re: Uniforms of the Irish Brigade + Grenadiers

Post by The Wild Goose » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:45 am

As a follow on question, does anyone know what were the hats worn by the grenadiers of the Irish Brigade (in French Service)? Were they similar to the French line grenadiers, in wearing the same broad brimmed hats, or closer to the grenadier hats worn by the British grenadiers, or even Gardes Francaises?
Thanks in advance for any answers.
Clibinarium
Major
Major

Re: Uniforms of the Irish Brigade

Post by Clibinarium » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:48 pm

I've been waiting to see if someone knowledgeable would answer this question, but in the absence of that I'll add my thoughts.
The first contingent probably arrived in their English/Irish uniforms. Its likely that on arrival in France uniforms of the contingent of 1691 were in a pretty bad state, (it may be that they were in French cloth already as material was sent to Ireland, but we don;t know if it was used or not) and the next issue of clothing would have been from French stores or on French patterns. So I'd guess these to be in the French cut and conform to what was issued to French regiments, the chances being the grenadiers got hats.
That said it would not have been too difficult for Colonels to have grenadier caps made at their own expense, it was noted that caps were easier to obtain for soldiers than hats during the Irish campaigns, so they might have done this to differentiate their units from the French (though as the Irish regiments integrated more this practice would have probably waned, and don't forget its just supposition anyway). Personally I'd go for hats. I should be remember though that hats were the most common headgear for grenadiers, caps were not unknown in the French army either.

This sort of question can only really be solved by primary research of perhaps diary entries, or most likely clothing returns and order books. Whether this material exists or whether it simply hasn't been looked at yet, I don't know. These things often require so me hardy soul to trawl through dusty archives. I imagine that the extra expense of clothing thousands of newly arrived Irishmen would have made an impact on the ministry's assiduous book keepers.

In Mark Allen's article on the Wild Geese he depicts an Irish grenadier in French service in a hat with shoulder ribbons (both shoulders), but there is no source given (though I don't disagree with this depiction). Its hard to get a handle on the practice of wearing ribbons, the best example is the Giffart plates on the Gardes, though whether they wear them because they are elite or because it was completely standard on coats is harder to say. Ribbons seem to have become less common towards 1700, though the Giffart plates date to 1698 I think.
The Wild Goose

Re: Uniforms of the Irish Brigade

Post by The Wild Goose » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:07 am

Thank you for the thoughtful answer Clibinarium. I am inlined to think the same about the Grenadiers in French Service as well. I'll keep the grenadier hats then for any of the Jacobite regiments in Ireland that were lucky enough to receive uniforms.