Book review "The Militia of the Monmouth Rebellion"

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
arthur1905
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Book review "The Militia of the Monmouth Rebellion"

Post by arthur1905 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:05 pm

The Militia of the Monmouth Rebellion by Chris Scott
Partizan Historical No:19 £17.50 from Caliver Books

Hi all, first thing i should say is that I have no links to the Author or Caliver books apart from I love the service they give, found and ordered the book Monday evening arrived Wednesday. fantastic service.

On to the Book, its 80 page softback book with 12 colour plates, the book is a good read showing some new light on the capabilities and performance of the militia units in and around the very short rebellion of 1685. The book is a very heavily abridged version of his PHD thesis, which is available through a well known book supplier but at around £80.00.

Regarding the colour plates, there are 3 new plates by the very talented Bruno Mugnai, unfortunately 5 colour plates and 1 B/W plate are reprints from the armies & uniforms of the Monmouth rebellion, one being miss labeled as a Militia Cavalryman when in fact it is the print of Oxfords horse.
the last 4 plates are of Welsh Militia standards which might be of interest.

Colour plates aside if you are interested in the period there is a lot of new information, and I think it will make a nice edition to anyone's collection.
Mark
jambo1
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army

Re: Book review "The Militia of the Monmouth Rebellion"

Post by jambo1 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:35 pm

Saw this on Calivers site and it looks very interesting, good review, makes my mind up!! :D
Diomedes
Private
Private

Re: Book review "The Militia of the Monmouth Rebellion"

Post by Diomedes » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:06 pm

This is a heavily edited and reduced version of Chris Scott's superb PhD thesis which is available as a FREE download. Search

Military Effectiveness of the West Country Militia + Cranfield University

on Google and it will be the first hit on the page :D

Wonderful piece of work

Diomedes