Bourbon Spanish army in Valencia 1706

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
Natholeon
Private
Private

Bourbon Spanish army in Valencia 1706

Post by Natholeon » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:02 am

Hi everyone
I was just wondering if anybody had any information about which Bourbon Spanish units operated around Valencia against Peterborough in 1706? I'm looking at doing some skirmish sized battles with this theatre as the background.
I'm also assuming that the Spanish units are likely to be a mix of the old coloured Tercio and new white Bourbon coats, as my understanding is that they were transitioning before the December ordinance, but happy to be told otherwise.
Gordon Hazelton
Private
Private

Re: Bourbon Spanish army in Valencia 1706

Post by Gordon Hazelton » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:00 pm

Hi a friend of mine Nick Dorrell has done quite a bit of research on this area and one of his books Marlboroughs Other Army. The British Army and the Campaigns of the First Peninsula War, 1702-12 (Century of the Soldier 1618-1721) Hardcover – 7 May 2015 contains some info.

I'll email him and ask him to post a reply for you
Natholeon
Private
Private

Post by Natholeon » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:34 pm

Thanks Gordon
It is Nick's book that I used for the Allied units in the area, and it gave me the inspiration to dig into Peterborough's campaigns in more detail.
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:08 am

Eventually you find some suitable detail in this "Online"-Book:
THE BRAVEST OF THE BRAVE
OR, WITH PETERBOROUGH IN SPAIN, By G. A. Henty.

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/7318/7318-h/7318-h.htm
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
Natholeon
Private
Private

Post by Natholeon » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:40 pm

Thank you Fredrich August. I found that in the weekend, but after a quick read through, found no mention of any of the individual Bourbon Spanish regiments present.
The Spanish sources that I've looked at have been about as helpful, stating that the Bourbon units are unidentified.
However, I've been going through the regimental histories on Kronoskaff for the Spanish, and it would seem that the Toledo regiment was sent to Valencia in 1705, and in the absence of anything more reliable, that will be my choice of uniform for the regular troops.