No colours for the fusiliers?

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
Gunfreak
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Re: No colours for the fusiliers?

Post by Gunfreak » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:25 pm

Old John wrote:"So I would assume the Welch also had some rag on a pole."

I wouldn't say that round here !!!!!!

cheers Old John

It was a Sharpe reference :wink:
Ben Waterhouse
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Ben Waterhouse » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:45 pm

The Royal Fusiliers certainly had colours from the start.

Barry's got them in the shop...

http://www.leagueofaugsburg.com/shop/product-704.html
Arma Pacis Fulcra

God, War, Drink.
Ronan the Librarian
Captain
Captain

Post by Ronan the Librarian » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:53 pm

I was going to say that the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers (ordnance regiment) formed in 1685, and later the 7th Foot, had colours from the start. It consisted of a red cross on a white field, with cannons and other military paraphernalia coming out of the four corners where the arms of the cross intersected.
Ssshhhhh!!!!!
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:38 pm

Ronan the Librarian wrote:.....of a red cross on a white field, with cannons and other military paraphernalia coming out ....
Sounds like the medic of an Artillery unit.... red cross on a white field... :lol:
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
Diomedes
Private
Private

Post by Diomedes » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:28 pm

Russian James wrote:For the Royal Regiment of Artillery, the guns themselves ARE the colours, it may have been the same for the fusileers as they were originally the artillery train guards...
Ooooohh that's an 18th Century and Victorian fiction. Marlborough's artillery certainly had colours (illustrated in C C P Lawson's work) as did English Civil War artillery so I would guess did everyone in between. BRITISH artillery do not 'lose' their colours until the Regiment is created in 1716. Other nations artillery usually had colours - that was certainly the case in the German States (see the Pengel & Hurt books) and in France, where Artillery regiments still do have colours.
Diomedes
Private
Private

Post by Diomedes » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:31 pm

Ronan the Librarian wrote:I was going to say that the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers (ordnance regiment) formed in 1685, and later the 7th Foot, had colours from the start. It consisted of a red cross on a white field, with cannons and other military paraphernalia coming out of the four corners where the arms of the cross intersected.

Agreed, The Royal Regiment of Fuzileers' colours are illustrated in the 'James II Colour Book' (c1686) in Windsor Royal Library and the Regiment lost at least one colour during the War of the Spanish Succession - illustrated in the 'Triomphes de Louis XIV' in the Bibliotheque Nationale in Paris.