When did Spain adopt the flintlock?

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
TheRightfulKing2013
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

When did Spain adopt the flintlock?

Post by TheRightfulKing2013 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:00 pm

Did Spain use mostly matchlock or flintlock muskets in the Nine Years War? I have the ebook on "The Spanish Army in the War of the Grand Alliance" but it doesn't mention this.

Also what uniforms if any did their artillery wear?
chema1986
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: When did Spain adopt the flintlock?

Post by chema1986 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:23 am

Hello , Well I really don't know but I guess some units used Flintlock and others Matchlock, which was being slowly replaced at that time. It may be impossible to know :S

and about artillery uniforms I have been searching information for years.. without success, So I paint my artillerymen blue coats with red cuffs... they may have used that uniform (as in 1700's) or not... but I would use civilian clothes and the mentioned colors. I Hope that help you.
arthur1905
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: When did Spain adopt the flintlock?

Post by arthur1905 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:19 pm

I don't have any concrete evidence, but I would suggest the majority of units would still be equipped with Matchlocks, or a mix of matchlock and flintlock.

I have been involved in research at the National Army Museum and British Library over the last couple of months and the English army during this time was generally equipped with a mix of Matchlocks and flintlocks at a ratio of two matchlocks to every flintlock for infantry companies plus 14 pikes per company. Grenadier companies completely equipped with Flintlocks.

hope that helps, but I am sure it probably didn't

Mark