Hanoverian Regiment (later 9B) Lewenhaupt 1693

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
wdrenth
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Hanoverian Regiment (later 9B) Lewenhaupt 1693

Post by wdrenth » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:16 am

dear all,

Yet another question on the identification of a Hanoverian colonel in the early 1690s.
It is related to the Hanoverian Regiment (or the Calenberg partition of Brunswick-Luneburg) that was later denoted as 9B (as it formed the root of the 9. Infanterie Regiment that was formed in 1773). This regiment served at the battle of Neerwinden/Landen in 1693, when the graf von Konigsmarck was the colonel (this person became 'famous' for having a love affair with Sophie Dorothea of Luneburg-Celle (Celle being the other half of Brunswick-Luneburg), who was married to Georg Ludwig, son of Ernst August, the elector of Luneburg, future king George I of Britain; an affair which led to his disappearance.)

Long story short, it appears that Kongsmarck was given a new regiment of Dragoons in 1693, and that a certain graf von Lewenhaupt (also Lowenhaupt) became the colonel in 1693. He already move further in 1695. Prior to 1693, this Lewenhaupt appears to have commanded a Hanoverian battalion/regiment into Hungary in 1692. This battalion seems to have been recruited in Celle and Sweden.

I am trying to establish which Lewenhaupt this could be -- it is a quite extensive family.

One source refers to him as Axel (or Arel?) Moritz Lewenhaupt. One candidate is a Moritz Lewenhaubt, son of Carl Moritz Lewenhaupt (wiki: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Mauritz_Lewenhaupt). He lived between 1666 and 1735, and rose to the rank of Swedish major-general. Unfortunately, not much information is forthcoming, other than what is here: https://www.adelsvapen.com/genealogi/Le ... r_2#TAB_23

There is also a Gustav Moritz (1651--1700), a cousin of previous, who commanded a Swedish regiment in Dutch service between 1688 and 1691.

Unfortunately, the 'standard' histories on the Hanoverian army don't provide much of biographical details in terms of names.
Maybe someone in this audience has looked deeper into this, and is able to shed some light on this. Thanks!

kind regards, Wienand
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Re: Hanoverian Regiment (later 9B) Lewenhaupt 1693

Post by Friedrich August I. » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:11 pm

Here you will find a Digitized Book about the standing Army of Brunswick 1600-1714, from 1899, german Language of course - free for download (25MB) Techn. University of Brunswick:

https://publikationsserver.tu-braunschw ... s_00028569
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
danschorr
Major
Major

Post by danschorr » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:42 pm

Wienand,

Robert Hall's book on the Hanoverians lists the Colonel as A.M. Graf von Löwenhaupt. Hall spent a great deal of time in the Hanoverian Archives, so I would rate this information as highly reliable. I know it is not much, but perhaps contributes a little to your query.

Dan
wdrenth
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by wdrenth » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:34 pm

gentlemen,

thank you for the replies.
Friedrich August I. wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:11 pm
Here you will find a Digitized Book about the standing Army of Brunswick 1600-1714, from 1899, german Language of course - free for download (25MB) Techn. University of Brunswick:

https://publikationsserver.tu-braunschw ... s_00028569
Thank you for the link, I have seen this book already. Can't just its accuracy, but found it very useful regarding the organizational aspects and how Brunswick's military was deployed. However, it is on the Wolfenbuttel part of Brunswick, and not the Luneburger part.
danschorr wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:42 pm
Wienand,

Robert Hall's book on the Hanoverians lists the Colonel as A.M. Graf von Löwenhaupt. Hall spent a great deal of time in the Hanoverian Archives, so I would rate this information as highly reliable. I know it is not much, but perhaps contributes a little to your query.

Dan
Thank you. 'A.M' corresponds to what I found (the Axel/Arel/Alex Moritz) in a German language publication from 1760 ('Kurz gefassete Geschichte aller Chur-Braunschweig-Luneburgischen Regimenter etc etc')

I guess the search continues!

kind regards, Wienand
TheRightfulKing2013
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by TheRightfulKing2013 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:56 am

I don't have any information on their uniform at this time. But by the time of the Seven Years War, Regiment 9B wore a red coat with green cuffs. Granted this was 70 years later and it may well have changed by then.

https://www.kronoskaf.com/syw/index.php ... w_Infantry

If the regiment that was 9B in the Seven Years War was the lineal descendent of the Regiment 9B of Hanover and Celle, then this would be the regiment raised in 1665 originally as the Waldeck Regiment. In 1665 this regiment wore a red coat with blue cuffs. I know this because of water colours I had years ago which I have sadly lost, but I recorded the uniform colours.