Venetian cavalry (dragoons)

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
Stuart

Venetian cavalry (dragoons)

Post by Stuart » Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:49 pm

Hello there. I have been tempted into painting some Venetian troops for the Morean War of reconquest. I've got some of Bruno Mugnai's 'History and Uniforms' magazines, which have been really useful for the infantry and artillery. Does anyone have any information (or even Best Guesses) on the cavalry uniforms (especially the Corbon Dragoons if possible) please?
Thank you very much in advance for any help or guidance.
Regards, Stuart
Glorfindel
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Venetian cavalry (dragoons)

Post by Glorfindel » Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:29 pm

Hi Stuart. I can't help with the uniforms unfortunately, but I did come across this online source which provides quite a bit of information about the Regiment of Dragoons raised by Marquis Nicolò Grimaldi de Courbon and their service in the Morea:

https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/tel-01287498/document

Apologies if you've already seen this. Looks as though the Regiment was raised in Germany and comprised 5 companies, each of 100 men. I couldn't see any uniform details though.

Phil
Stuart

Post by Stuart » Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:12 pm

Thank you very much indeed, Phil.
No, I hadn't seen that and it was really useful information - thanks again.
Stuart

Post by Stuart » Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:45 pm

Sorry - I can answer my own query now...
Bruno Mugnai's 'History and Uniforms' issue 6 has pictures of the venetian cavalry including the Courbon Dragoons (Red coat faced yellow; stocking cap red fronted yellow, white neckerchief and buttons, leather belts and bags), if anyone is interested.
Glorfindel
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Glorfindel » Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:48 am

Glad you've found it. I've just looked it up on Google Books - a very bright uniform that should paint up well (although I can't imagine it staying that colour for very long !).

Look forward to seeing the finished figures.

'History & Uniforms' looks like a very interesting magazine. Helpful that there are quite a few sample articles online as well if you are thinking of buying.

Phil