Iron Cross game WWII

general discussion points related to gaming, painting and modelling in this period
nevermore
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Iron Cross game WWII

Post by nevermore » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:58 am

Iron Cross game WWII

More photos on the website at http://www.victorian-steel.com/

This was our first game of Iron Cross, we started small! 30 units a side and what a great ruleset it is. The bulk of the game centres around spending your command points and the skill is knowing when to pass the initiative to your opponent and when to interrupt the opponents move.

image hosting over 10mb

screen shot

We set our game in the western desert, with the axis forces tasked with defending a town and the British and commonwealth forces having two objectives to capture the oasis and to clear the town. This was always going to be difficult as both sides had equal forces (in numbers at least)

free image host

image hosting 5mb

free upload pictures

upload img

The game commenced with the British having the initiative and making reasonable progress, with their right flank taking on the Italians who were supported by some Mark III’s. This developed into a real slugfest with a cat and mouse approach being changed to outand out attack by Lenlater on in the game.

photo upload

In the British centre and left the commander decided to eliminate the anti -tank screen before advancing in a final charge.
The result was a draw with the Germans holding the town but the British capturing the oasis.

how to take a screen shot

We really liked the decision making element of this rule system it is not IGO-UGO but a simple to operate but hard to master system where the non -initiative player can interrupt the other sides flow 3+ to succeed and on a roll of a 6 captures the initiative back. Each tank or squad acts independently and the more tasks given them or damage inflicted the harder it becomes to carry things out.

There are no range restrictions apart from for panzerfaust type weapons, and firing is elegantly simple relying on a D10 roll
There are no melee rules and the whole system has a flow and logic to it. We have made one change to the rules making troops in cover 1 pip harder to hit and are looking forward to getting the Soviets and German 28mms out for a spot of urban warfare.

We just need to finish the town boards, so give us a week or two.
This game was played at the Victorian Outpost, the newest and only custom built Wargames Venue in Grimsby, where you are guaranteed a friendly welcome and a wargame played in the spirit of fun rather than a re-run of the Monty Python argument sketch. (You know who you are! ) Contact nevermore if you fancy a game. Our group of 11 can cater for most periods and genres.
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Re: Iron Cross game WWII

Post by obriendavid » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:58 am

Nice looking game Malc as I would expect from you guys.
I'm surprised the Brits managed to even get a draw considering how many Stuarts they seem to have against Panzer IIIs and at least one 88 that I spotted. Perhaps the German players were as good at dice rolling as I am?
Cheers
Dave
nevermore
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Re: Iron Cross game WWII

Post by nevermore » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:10 am

Its a clever set of rules and no long list of stats of movement, fire power ect...not a WWII fan myself but i really like these rules, they are fast and you after a while you kind of get to know how it functions and then you begin to think a couple of moves ahead.

Enjoyable rules and fun and you will get a outcome by the end of the evening rather than just chat about what could of happened to the scenario you setup at the end of the session.

Thumbs up from me on these rules, but if you like stats and table charts these are not for you.