Malplaquet, 1709/2009

A Forum location for posts by members of the League and any other Visitors or Forum members who wish to post items and questions about our games and activities.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:49 am

Treebeard Howe????? :shock:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Rogerdodger

Post by Rogerdodger » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:21 pm

You could always pop them in a box and post them to Dale. We could divvy up the postage cost between us I'm sure. At the Kirrie club we've got a box and more of trees. However I suppose that's not nearly enough. Living in small box myself in Perth I'm a bit of a lightweight on the scenery front. However oodles of trees are a pain in the bum if you're moving lots of figs through them. Couldn't we just mark the boudaries of the forest and then place a few clumps just to remind us? O.K, I'll be quiet now.
Dale
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Dale » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:17 am

No Roger. Knocking over trees is part of the fun. It's the only way the Allies can get at some of the noble Frenchmen. Besides this battle is the only opportunity we have to get every miniature tree in Scotland on one battlefield.
sharnydubs
Colonel
Colonel

Post by sharnydubs » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:46 pm

I have a couple of boxes of tress which I will also bring down from Stonehaven.
Peter

"The only winner in the War of 1812 was Tchaikovsky"
mikeb
Private
Private

Post by mikeb » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:24 pm

sharnydubs wrote:I have a couple of boxes of tress which I will also bring down from Stonehaven.
.............. Get a couple of big bags of lichen. They make trees go a long way. You guys make sure you take loads of pictures and stuff. I have been following this whole project. Can't wait to see how it works out.

Mike B
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:53 pm

Actually a very good idea Mike on the lichen 8)

Don't worry about the pictures... I normally take plenty but I have actually been commissioned by Wargames Illustrated to do an article on the game as it is the 300th Anniversary. I will write it up pretty much immediately for publication :D

Henry Ford
Blucher
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Blucher » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:02 pm

Chaps

Following on from the 'tree appeal' I've packed a 'proportion of Fangorn'.

Think it will be 'good for about 6 to 8 tiles, coverage'! Considering i'm coming up on the train, 'sacrifices' have had to be made 'in other areas...........'

Its taken me about an hour to pack, utilising every cubic inch of space. For those of you that can remember helping me load the 4x4 after the Ligny game......well that was childs play compared to this feat of engineering!!!!!!

Anyway, I'm thinking of creating a 'new website'......................

www.forestinasuitcase.com

Looking forward to the weekend!

See you all Friday

'The Grimsby Woodsman'
Dale
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Dale » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:32 pm

Gentlemen,
To basics. Food. Is Treffers OK with everyone for a "Kirrie oot" for Saturday lunchtime?
I've taken the liberty of collecting High Tea and Dinner menus from The Drumshademuir Restaraunt. Adrian, a high tea is a main course with bread, tea, scones etc on either side of it. This will mean driving a mile out of Kirriemuir but the food is excellent and very reasonably priced. Jim is very helpful and will be happy to seat us together and give us individual tallies.
Would everyone be happy to give this a go?
I will provisionally book for fourteen on my way home from work on Wednesday. If anyone is unhappy with this arrangement please let me know or take it out on Andy Nicholson.
PS Andy, the portions are MAN sized. Now who wants to come between Andy and his scran?
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:33 pm

Rogerdodger wrote:However oodles of trees are a pain in the bum if you're moving lots of figs through them. Couldn't we just mark the boudaries of the forest and then place a few clumps just to remind us? O.K, I'll be quiet now.
Roger, I wouldn't worry about moving thro trees, your Dutch Guards will get blown away long before they reach the treeline. :lol:

The thing to remember is that we have a whole weekend to fight the battle and the whole ethos of these games is to make them look as good as possible in a way you couldn't possibly do in a normal club night.

Cheers
Dave
Last edited by obriendavid on Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:36 pm

barr7430 wrote: Don't worry about the pictures... I normally take plenty but I have actually been commissioned by Wargames Illustrated to do an article on the game as it is the 300th Anniversary. I will write it up pretty much immediately for publication :D
What's our cut in all of this :twisted: :twisted:

Cheers
Dave
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:38 pm

Dale wrote:Gentlemen,
To basics. Food. Is Treffers OK with everyone for a "Kirrie oot" for Saturday lunchtime?
I've taken the liberty of collecting High Tea and Dinner menus from The Drumshademuir Restaraunt. Adrian, a high tea is a main course with bread, tea, scones etc on either side of it. This will mean driving a mile out of Kirriemuir but the food is excellent and very reasonably priced. Jim is very helpful and will be happy to seat us together and give us individual tallies.
Would everyone be happy to give this a go?
Dale, your arrangements sound fine with me although Angus and myself will need lifts out as it looks as if we are both coming up by train.

Cheers
Dave
Blucher
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Blucher » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:08 pm

Dale/Chaps

I'm happy for any food arrangements over the weekend.

More importantly, can consideration be given by 'you Kirrie locals' as regards a good but 'not too rowdy', Watering Place for the Saturday evening drinking and discussion 'session'. Last venue (think it was The Thrums?) was'nt too condusive for a pleasent place to 'finish off' the day's 'fun'.

'Thirsty' of Grimsby.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:44 pm

Yes I'd certainly give it the THRUMS DOWN :roll:

Mr 10% O'Brien :lol: yet another side to your character :shock:

Henry Ford
Rogerdodger

Post by Rogerdodger » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:19 pm

Well the paintathon is nearly over. Last coat of varnish drying on the Dutch command and cavalry. Those Frenchies are going to chew an awful lot of canonball before my Dutch guards go anywhere near them, Dave. That is not unless the boss orders me to stick my head into the meat grinder. Seeing as how the Frogs were half starved anyway I think they should all be rated as raw. As for the trees, yes I am a cheapskate but I was thinking we could always move them into position for a photo. One more query. The Prince of Orange. I still havn't found a history book about Marlborough's wars that tells me anything about him. Mr Chandler was virtually silent. Does anybody know his name even? What relation was he to William III? And finally after a discussion with the Mrs I'm actually being allowed out to the pub on Saturday night. You should try the line "now really dear should a grown man have to ask his wife permission to have a drink with his friends?" It worked!!! P.s. it was a rhetorical question of course. In case it's of interest, here is a link
http://dic.academic.ru/dic.nsf/enwiki/45725
Last edited by Rogerdodger on Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:11 pm

barr7430 wrote:Yes I'd certainly give it the THRUMS DOWN :roll:

Mr 10% O'Brien :lol: yet another side to your character :shock:
I assume that's your first offer :lol:

I wasn't too impressed with the Thrumbs either you could hardly hear the guy sitting next to you let alone across the table. It was a mare trying to get to sleep if you unluckily had a room above the bar. The only advantage was I couldn't hear Angus' snoring.

Cheers
Dave