THE 'JUNE' ONE

A Forum location for posts by members of the League and any other Visitors or Forum members who wish to post items and questions about our games and activities.
Rob Herrick
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Rob Herrick » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:29 am

I believe some of them fought in the May 1813 battles as well.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:40 am

The Opolochenie Rob?
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Rob Herrick
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Rob Herrick » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:37 am

I think so.

Napitalia has a depiction of the Battle of Mockern on April 5, 1813. The OB for Berg's Russian Corps puts the Olonetz Militia Battalion and Volodoga Militia Battalion as part of his advanced guard.

Those two battalions are also part of Berg's Corps in May of 1813.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:44 am

As if Peter and the Russian players here actually NEED an excuse to field these guys!! But that will probably be enough to see them west of the Berezhina at some point!

Henry Ford
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:19 pm

Chaps,

I will bring along some markers and counters. I think some of you have these already.. I know P.McC has at least. If you have your own then great it would be good if you brought them as I am pulling from stock.

NO SALES PITCH but if anyone wants markers of their own I'll do them as near cost as dammit.

I think everyone has the book. I'll stick a couple of copies in the car just in case.

Cheers

B

Henry Ford
Blucher
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Blucher » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:46 pm

Chaps

Thanks Barry for bring spare copies and 'markers' - much appreciated.

Apart from obvious items dice, rulers, pens etc, just a final 'reminder' for other things to bring:

1) As per previous emails, if you could download your own 'roster sheets' and complete most of it with your Brigade/units details it will save you time on Saturday morning. Take your 'breakdowns' from Barrys Unit Lists. Some of the details will be 'diced for' on Saturday before we start. More time we can save then the more 'playing' we will get. Your units/names do not to be 'historically accurate' for 1814 ('blasphemy' I here you cry!)....but you know what I mean.
2) Print off another 'blank' roster sheet' for yourselves, ready for Sunday's game.

The following are not required for the actual game but if you wish to 'stand a chance' with at least one of the umpires, it is advisable to wear as much of the following as you can:

England shirt, anything with '3 Lions' on it, 'large' Cross of St. George, England/Cross of St. George flag (to be worn as a 'cape'), England 'tattoo' (optional - and probably a little late for you to get an appointment at The Tattooist). As an alternative to a tatoo, why not use 'face paint' to show your support for the 2010 World Cup Winners!

Think thats all......see you Guys tomorrow.

A
thinredline
Colonel
Colonel

Post by thinredline » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:03 pm

Dear oh dear, and I was thinking of rooting for those upstarts from the former American colonies :P

Now where was I- ah yes my Dear General Schnapps :wink: :wink:

Bob
"There is no retreat from here, men," Campbell told them as he rode down the line, "you must die where you stand."
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:45 pm

Blucher wrote: The following are not required for the actual game but if you wish to 'stand a chance' with at least one of the umpires, it is advisable to wear as much of the following as you can:

England shirt, anything with '3 Lions' on it, 'large' Cross of St. George, England/Cross of St. George flag (to be worn as a 'cape'), England 'tattoo' (optional - and probably a little late for you to get an appointment at The Tattooist). As an alternative to a tatoo, why not use 'face paint' to show your support for the 2010 World Cup Winners!
I'm sure there will be a shop somewhere in Kirrie that will be selling A.B.E. t-shirts :lol:
It must be a great wrench for you Adrian when England play Germany, who do you support then or do you just see it as a win win result?
Cheers
Dave
Blucher
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Blucher » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:02 am

Dave

It's always England 'first and from the heart' but with 'the head' it's Germany.

Don't worry about the A.B.E. t-shirts - I've got you all something better....

.........they are called.....

....'at least we're there' t-shirts!!!!!!!!

Regards

'Confident of Grimsby'
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:56 am

where?

Henry Ford
sharnydubs
Colonel
Colonel

Post by sharnydubs » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:12 pm

Barry , if you bring along some extra market sets you may even get a sale or two!
Peter

"The only winner in the War of 1812 was Tchaikovsky"
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:31 pm

DON'T NEED TO TELL ME TWICE PETER! 8)

Henry Ford
thinredline
Colonel
Colonel

Post by thinredline » Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:02 pm

Well gents, that was another fine weekend, with thanks due to Adrian and Kevin. Hope you all had a safe journey home and already looking forward to the Nov. bash.

That was my initiation to R2E, and I will listen to Alpha, and Colin more intently next time, to put as muck in as possible in an assault on a town, and don't attack squares with cavavlry - too many empty saddles :shock:

Kellerman did not find Schnapps, but heck, there's always November :D
Kind regards to you all,

Bob
"There is no retreat from here, men," Campbell told them as he rode down the line, "you must die where you stand."
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:13 pm

Chaps,

thoroughly enjoyed the weekend as always. I hope your views on R2E have been positive although I have no great hopes of converting Dale from his religous devotion to GdB.
Highlight of my weekend was the clarification in my own head that the ideal size of command for R2E in a large multi player game is a Division. Any smaller will not create the right command challenges and any larger seem to create a level of anonimity in the command.
I was very pleased with my defence of Bar-sur-Aube on Saturday and of course my gentlemanly opponent had not played before but the proof that fighting with a single brigade could match a division and beat it was encouraging information for setting up future scenarios and for players who wish to get away from sterile, equal points type games.

Special moments:

1. Peter McCarroll's superb handling of his gallant Brunswick Freikorps on both days. Infantry and cavalry both covering themselves in lots of glory. Breaking two battalions of the Old Guard in bayonet charges on Day 1 was indeed a rare wargaming occasion which I feel privileged to have witnessed. Dale - pls take note. The Guard - did recule! Also his two cavalry charges on Day 2 against my own infantry where pretty spectacular.

2. Andy's charge with the Polish Lancers of the Guard and his mega slugfest with Ade's Prussian Hussars, Dragoons and Uhlans before being wiped out was a bloodbath.

3. My own Chevau leger nearly making the breakthrough to Paris but having their brigadier's head removed by a cannonball was frustrating..but enjoyable in a General St Ruhe at Aughrim sort of way :roll:

4. Bob and Peter's village morris dancing on Day 1.. resulting in the demise of the entire Middle Guard was also pretty impressive.

5. Finally... Adrian's continuous Hilda Baker style malapropism for Lundin Links had me tittering to myself all the way back home.... Ludkins!!! :lol:

Till next time chaps... :D

Henry Ford
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:01 pm

Typical French biase!!! :lol: didn't even give the Russian Guard a mention when they stood alone against multiple attacks and eventually destroyed DI's infantry and cavalry brigades then did the same to Bob's cavalry brigade. The 1st battalion had suffered 75% casualties but were still facing off against yet more cavalry when the battle finished.

Apart from Barry's biase it was a great weekend as always and I'm looking forward to storming Paris in November.

Cheers
Dave