The Alma - June 18th - 19th 2011

A Forum location for posts by members of the League and any other Visitors or Forum members who wish to post items and questions about our games and activities.
thinredline
Colonel
Colonel

The Alma - June 18th - 19th 2011

Post by thinredline » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:24 am

Gents,

Finally, and I hope you will not be disappointed, I am near enough set to produce this on a battallion by battalion basis with the spin offs that can be generated including Balaclava, Inkerman, Tchernya, Sevastopal, and the numerous expeditions by the Turks and Allies. :lol:

Barry has looked at a modifications to "Republic to Empire" on this Scenario and we can look forward to using these. Given that most of you are familiar with RTE, I would like to "compere" whilst letting Barry loose on the table. I would not be able to "rule" on the technicalities of the rules, but will give final guidance to any arbitary dispute; and you will be subjected to event cards, on a turn by turn basis. :shock:

I am presently looking at the terrain and table size (it will be big), but let me reassure you, we do not need Brits, Turks, or Russians; and I will be in touch to establish what French we can muster. On a further note, the scenics are mostly taken care of, but certain items I will recquisition at a later date.

Gents, it will be a long large table with a wing, and your forces will be based on what was available (subject to my discretion of course) at the Alma.

Barry, I shall be in touch as to event cards, These shall not be necessarily produced as a one off, but rather on a pack of cards basis, which should ellaviate you of any input other than rules. 8) You should be able to enjoy our games as a participant now and again :oops:

I have noted the very successful layout of our game in March (bloody good) and whilst this will be a much more linear game, I will hope to introduce sufficient historically accurate events and win criteria to make sure that we have an interesting game. :)

Please continue any info or discourse on this thread

Till then,
My warmest regards,
Bob :D
Last edited by thinredline on Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There is no retreat from here, men," Campbell told them as he rode down the line, "you must die where you stand."
thinredline
Colonel
Colonel

Post by thinredline » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:00 am

Gents,

I have these issues presently :

1/ I need to reproduce a vineyard, this requires indivdually based small trees, I have some but would like to expand. This is the only tree requirement. Historically, all wood was cut down for fire wood, Leaving a very - - landscape.

2/ One stone bridge is required

3/ Smoke (on its own I shall provide), shell bursts cannon and musketry fire

4/ Whilst I have some random rubble field wall much more would be appreciated.

5/ Redoubts I have, stand down you gracious gents generously offering

6/ Russian type houses I will take care off

7/ Flock and tress - I will supply, vineyard excepted.

I can only add,
Most of it is in the bag, and looking forward to an enjoyable weekend

Kind regards,
Bob
Last edited by thinredline on Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:13 am, edited 3 times in total.
"There is no retreat from here, men," Campbell told them as he rode down the line, "you must die where you stand."
thinredline
Colonel
Colonel

Post by thinredline » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:16 am

Gents,

The proposed table is under consideration here.

I will contact all prospective tile suppliers in the next week with my proposals. The table willl be 3d, and include the respective terrrain features.

Any plain tiles and road tiles (will be incorporated) please advise what you have available.

Dale, I have a good understanding of the tables available and Hall size. If I need to confer I shall be Back.

Bob
Last edited by thinredline on Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
thinredline
Colonel
Colonel

Post by thinredline » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:22 am

deleted
Last edited by thinredline on Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
thinredline
Colonel
Colonel

Post by thinredline » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:31 am

Gents,

With respect to French Crimean Forces :-
Any member:-
Capable of supplying French in period:- Crimean, Franco Prussian, Maximillian Adventure etc

Please,add below

Regards,
Bob
Last edited by thinredline on Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:54 am

One French battlaion from me at the mo. Possibly more to follow.

Bob,
need clarification on how many road tiles?
straight or curved etc

ta

B
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:52 pm

Bob, remember I have a number of French units and Colin also has figures we can use. I can bring along my rubber roads and I also have a walled field with an number of small trees that can be used for an orchard.
Cheers
Dave
thinredline
Colonel
Colonel

Post by thinredline » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:24 pm

Thank you Dave and Barry.

Straight road tiles I am proposing to use 7 straight, these may be available form Peter.

I would also need 14 feet of latex lay on roads/track. Dave the walled field is perfectly acceptable.

Of the French troops at your disposal Dave, I think IO still have your e-mail from last summer. I shall check.

Thanks for getting back to me.

Bob
Dale
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Dale » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:50 pm

Bob, I can help with more small trees, walled fields and rubber roads.
Also available a selection of Hovels Russian buildings.
thinredline
Colonel
Colonel

Post by thinredline » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:30 pm

Most appreciated Dale, Thanks. :)

Bob
19th Century Trooper
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by 19th Century Trooper » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:28 am

As a long time fan of the Crimean War, I'm looking forward to the Alma Game using RtE. I think these are the rules I've been looking for.

No disrespect intended, but, will the rules updates, Obs, command adjustments, game mechanics, be made available to the rest of us lurkers? :D :oops:

Thanks,
Terry Haney
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:07 pm

Hey Terry! don't call yourself a lurker!!! :lol:

Yes the intention is to make the amendments available through the site. I have been doing more and more thinking and discussing re: the amendments and actually conclude that deviations form the core R2E principles will be minimal.

Tactics were very similar to Naps period. The main issues will come with the increasing availablity of rifling in small arms and artillery. I suspect that we'll see more British units will slightly better musketry capability but not a huge number espcially earlier in the war. With artillery the rifling issue can be taken care of by increasing the number of shooting dice as opposed to increasing the range of the pieces. With ranges already exceeding the length of most home tables it is pointless saying a rifled 9pdr has a range of 140 inches! So rifled pieces will gain +1 shooting dice per gun in a battery. Some mods on heavier artillery pieces will appear particularly in attacks on BuA re: Sevastopol and the redoubts and trenches.
Some guidelines on command and control and brigade/troop quality will be included I think. Neither side was particularly blessed with gifted commanders. Army level command guidelines will see little in the way of GIFTED leaders. Some brigades on both sides will have the possibility of 'Intuitive' rating but not many and definitely NOT the Light Brigade :shock:
although the individual unit quality of many units can be quite good.
For sure, the Turks will get a better press than Anglophile history has given them!
Once Clarence and I have cleared our feet on BLB2 we'll be on it pretty quickly. It will be a pdf but as yet how big and how fancy is 'to be discussed' with the Creative Department in Virginia! :wink:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Atheling
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Atheling » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:45 am

Gents,

Do take some nice piccies.... pretty please :) .

Darrell.
Just Add Water High Quality Painting Service:
http://justaddwater-bedford.blogspot.co.uk/
Gawalthaufen Blog (Late 15C Warfare):
http://gewalthaufen.blogspot.co.uk/
La Journee Blog (Early 15thC Warfare):
http://lajourney-bedford.blogspot.co.uk/
thinredline
Colonel
Colonel

Post by thinredline » Mon May 02, 2011 8:12 pm

Gents,

Can I have a "head count" of participants, and a list of any "deserters" for setting out the respective commands for June.

Bob
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Mon May 02, 2011 8:17 pm

Hopefully with fingers and everything else crossed Pasha O'Brien will be there.
I'll let you know in a few weeks how many Frogs I can bring along.
Cheers
Dave