NOVEMBER 19th/20th 2011 Vietnam

A Forum location for posts by members of the League and any other Visitors or Forum members who wish to post items and questions about our games and activities.
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Re: NOVEMBER 19th/20th 2011 Vietnam

Post by obriendavid » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:48 pm

barr7430 wrote:Dave,

are you saying that Charles, David and Peter are the rowdy drunk ones? :shock:
No! you and Angus will still be there :lol:
Cheers
Dave
sharnydubs
Colonel
Colonel

Post by sharnydubs » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:32 pm

Plans are progressing for the Vietnam weekend. Hope to catch up with some of you at Targe to discuss.
Peter

"The only winner in the War of 1812 was Tchaikovsky"
sharnydubs
Colonel
Colonel

Post by sharnydubs » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:09 pm

OK we have ten of the usual suspects confirmed as players for this weekend. Arrangements are as follows

Friday - Dale will open Guide Hall at 7pm so that we can set up tables. Shouldn't take too long.

Saturday - Five small tables with one on one games. We will rotate round the tables so that everyone gets to play one side in each scenario.

Sunday - Large game with everyone involved. Loads of Brown Water navy action and helicopters as well as city fighting, jungle and off table antics.

Rules to be used are Disposable Heroes. I will provide tables, charts etc but if you want to get a copy of the Long Road South supplement you can download a pdf from the Iron Ivan website.

Music is being supplied by Adrian, special cards by Barry and everything else by all of us who have stuff for the period.

If anyone has a 28mm Chinook, Rope bridge, Buddhist temple and monks or jungle please bring them along.

chow

Peter
Peter

obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:39 pm

sharnydubs wrote: If anyone has a 28mm Chinook, Rope bridge, Buddhist temple and monks or jungle please bring them along.
Peter
I can bring the temple and monks but the last time they appeared at a weekend game you blew up the temple for no apparent reason and Dale proceeded to gun down the unarmed monks :shock:
Colin mentioned this morning that Angus is having pet problems and might not be able to make the weekend but this will hopefully get confirmed on thursday at the club. I don't know if he mentioned this to anyone else?
Cheers
Dave
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:08 pm

Peter,

is it only the chinook that is required in 28mm?

Life sized temple, monks and rope bridge? :shock:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:34 pm

barr7430 wrote:Peter,

is it only the chinook that is required in 28mm?
Unless you've got a couple of B52's lying about? :wink:
Cheers
Dave
sharnydubs
Colonel
Colonel

Post by sharnydubs » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:30 pm

Sad thing is I have a 1/48 scale Italeri Chinook kit which I have started but not yet finished and as I am in Houston this week there is no chance of it being finished on time.
Still, we will have plenty of other helicopters available!
Peter

barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:33 pm

I'll save my comments for later but if you chaps want a look at what we've just being doing go HERE

http://www.leagueofaugsburg.com/gallery ... y-381.html

Henry Ford
thinredline
Colonel
Colonel

Post by thinredline » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:13 am

Wow :shock:
Great terrain - fire base, jungle, temple, buddah and villages :D
Lots of amazing kit including Helicopters, boats and armour :D
Buckets of lead painted to the highest standards including "body bags" :lol:
Some of the friendliest wargamers you could hope to meet and play against :D
What can one say :?:
Thanks guys - an amazing weekends wargaming :D

Bob
"There is no retreat from here, men," Campbell told them as he rode down the line, "you must die where you stand."
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:28 pm

Great photos of a fantastic weekend Barry, I didn't expect you to have time to post any before heading off on your travels. I look forward to seeing more especially ones of the complete layout of the large Sunday table when you get back. I thought the weekend went so well that it would be good to revisit the period in 2013-14 and give the guys that missed the fun a chance to fill some body bags :wink:
Cheers
Dave
sharnydubs
Colonel
Colonel

Post by sharnydubs » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:05 pm

Well guys another LOGW weekend is over.

I must admit to a certain amount of trepidation going into this weekend. Although I own a bucket load of models, terrain, figures, boats and helicopters for Vietnam I had never played anything other than a brief skirmish game in the period. I had also never tried the Long Road South supplement before for Disposable Heroes and had forgotten most of the DH rules and mechanics. Add to that our slightly less than usual number of gamers and the fact that I was in Houston all week and that Colin and Dave and I didn't really have a full game arranged for Sunday and it could have been a disaster. But it wasn't, for me it was one of the most visual and varied games we have played with everyone being in the action early and all games being conducted with the right attitude and camaraderie.

My thanks to Dave and Colin who organised the Sunday game and brought some excellent figures and terrain , to Angus for his ANZAC's and amazing canopy jungle, to Barry for some truly mind-altering cards and for taking some inspirational photos, to Charles for providing his superb fortress which was just right for the Tet offensive, to Admiral Bob and his resident Kirriemuir terrain tiles, to Adrian for the music, to Kevin and Dale and their jungles and to my brother Andrew for bring nothing but a great fun attitude to wargaming. Definitely a game worth repeating.

Be sure to check out Barry's photo gallery. The RPG shot with my Quad truck behind is a cracker.

Thanks guys, this really was a great weekend.
Peter

barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:52 pm

Sitting in the corridor of T4 waiting for my flight to Qatar. Just reflecting on a great weekend. It was DIFFERENT. The games were surprisingly engaging. The imbalance that I suspected might exist - uber performing Americans against bucketloads of cannon fodder natives did not materialize. US firepower was awesome when brought to bear in strength but otherwise the NVA were nimble, useful and generally formidable. The numerical imbalance did not exist in too much of a stark way either. There seemed to be just as many Americans as NVA a lot of the time.
DS seemed more exciting in VIETNAM despite the very poor layout of the book. They are a great rule set but so user unfriendly. I never imagined TSS could look so different! Add some aquarium accessories and it was very convincing jungle.

I thought the 5 day 1 scenarios were masterfully thought out Peter. Truly enjoyable, balanced, unpredictable and fun wargames. I was genuinely lost in the fun in every game particularly the Convoy game against Ade and then the Chopper Rescue game against Bob.

The visual feast of Day 2 was magnificent. Probably the most spectacular table yet for us. I think The NAM should get another visit from LoGW.

Finally the photos are an embarrassment of riches actually. I felt compelled to do a little photo editing last night and risk a quickie divorce!
There are at least another 50 shots worthy of an airing. I will work on them and burn some CDs for any of the Gents interested.

Once more, thanks to the organizers for a real magical weekend, thanks to the rest of the Gentlemen for conviviality of the best sort.
Ade.. seperate thanks from you to Miggsy :wink:

Henry Ford
General Schnapps
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by General Schnapps » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:00 pm

Great weekend as usual , well done to everyone involved in putting on such an extravaganza. The small tables on Saturday and the big one on Sunday looked fantastic and were a joy to play on. Scenarios were well thought out and produced interesting and fun games as a result.
I thought all the American kit from the firebase through to the Boats on the river looked wonderful but rather strangely I prefered to shoot at the stuff as a VC player rather than use it as a US player !!!
I had never understood other peoples interest in gaming Vietnam and had always kept well away from it but after this weekends games I can now definately see the attraction and that is probably as good a testimony as any to the success of the weekend.
Kev
ps
The Crepto Kid and his gang are looking forward to the Western game in March :wink:
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:43 am

As yet there has been no mention of 'on table' bad behaviour but I think it is time to shake a few palm trees and mention some horrendous incidents such as Dale shooting his own down chopper crewman simply to get away and win extra victory points. Also, Adrian's needless sacrifice of civilians in the Hue game was just cynical gamesmanship. Never really understood how Dave Ho Chi Min O Brien managed to populate the citadel of Hue with more Vietcong than the entire population of SE Asia. They kept coming faster than a plague of locusts.

And what about the chopper pilot who started shooting down his own choppers!!! What was that all about.... you boys need to lay off the - and concentrate on some serious wargaming,,, sheesh....

Henry Ford
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:43 am

As yet there has been no mention of 'on table' bad behaviour but I think it is time to shake a few palm trees and mention some horrendous incidents such as Dale shooting his own down chopper crewman simply to get away and win extra victory points. Also, Adrian's needless sacrifice of civilians in the Hue game was just cynical gamesmanship. Never really understood how Dave Ho Chi Min O Brien managed to populate the citadel of Hue with more Vietcong than the entire population of SE Asia. They kept coming faster than a plague of locusts.

And what about the chopper pilot who started shooting down his own choppers!!! What was that all about.... you boys need to lay off the - and concentrate on some serious wargaming,,, sheesh....

Henry Ford