16/17 June 2012 - English Civil War

A Forum location for posts by members of the League and any other Visitors or Forum members who wish to post items and questions about our games and activities.
thinredline
Colonel
Colonel

16/17 June 2012 - English Civil War

Post by thinredline » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:26 am

Gents,
For the forward planning of June 2012 I have available for use :-
Five tertios comprising :-
Pikes –
1 x 32 armoured in helmets (English or Scots)
1 x 24 (English)
3 x 24 (Scots)
Muskets – 90 (16 English, 72 Scots)
and
Dismounted Dragoons 20 (12 in Lobster pots, 8 Scots)
Mounted ironsides, breast plates and lobster pots 11
Medium cavalry-18 ( Scots)
Lancers – 22 (Borderers)
Artillery Crew 42 (8 English 34 Scots)
7 Frame Guns
7 artillery pieces
Highland Warband 60 strong + 14 archers
All at your disposal :D
Bob
"There is no retreat from here, men," Campbell told them as he rode down the line, "you must die where you stand."
sharnydubs
Colonel
Colonel

Re: 16/17 June 2012 - was English Civil War - now WWII

Post by sharnydubs » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:45 am

To confirm our discussions from the Old West game weekend.

Our June game will now be WWII Disposable Heroes 28mm. Adrian has taken a note of the figures we can all supply so iot looks like we have more than enough between us (what a surprise) withough having to add anything more. If Barry can supply again his excellent game cards and we can all look to take appropriate buildings / terrain items etc then the remaining preparation will be minimal.

The ECW game has been postponed but hopefully will appear on the calendar for 2013.

chow

Peter
Peter

"The only winner in the War of 1812 was Tchaikovsky"
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Re: 16/17 June 2012 - was English Civil War - now WWII

Post by obriendavid » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:58 pm

sharnydubs wrote:To confirm our discussions from the Old West game weekend.
The ECW game has been postponed but hopefully will appear on the calendar for 2013.
Peter
Peter, I'm more than happy to fight WW2 but just wondering why the ECW game didn't go ahead?
Cheers
Dave
sharnydubs
Colonel
Colonel

Re: 16/17 June 2012 - English Civil War

Post by sharnydubs » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:57 am

Adrian was to have been organising but now he has gone all academic and working on pension qualifications so he requested a postponement. And we all thought he was full time wargaming and scenery building! The Derby weekend looked excellent.

Ade did suggest we play Napoleonics but with Borodino our November LOGW game we decided on WWII as something easy to organise without puting too much pressure on any one of us.
Peter

Blucher
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Blucher » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:47 pm

Guys

In the few minutes I have spare - just a quick update.

Like Peter has kindly mentioned, the ECW is on hold due to major 'exam' commitments I have over the first 9 months of this year (not known at the time I volunteered to arrange the ECW game!) .... So the fall back plan is a DH/WW2 game. I have enough time to organise this (with Barry kindly helping in a small way with existing 'equipment' available).

We've already discussed the scenario and I have a list of 'troops' from 'you Gents'.

I have enough (limited) time to pull the scenario together.....so as to not burden anyone else with this and Charles has kindly agreed to help with this as we were both jointly working on the ECW proposed game.

I'll be in touch with everyone over the Easter period to confirm what to bring/commands etc.

Hope this is OK and not caused any problems?

Adrian
sharnydubs
Colonel
Colonel

Post by sharnydubs » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:15 pm

Looking forward to seeing everyone again this weekend. Andy and I will be heading down early Saturday morning , unfortunately we can't be with you Friday evening.

Adrian , are you taking care of the troop sheets etc?

chow

Peter
Peter

obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:58 pm

Looking forward to seeing all the guys again although a few family and motoring spanners have been thrown in the works which Colin and myself need to sort out but will be there on Saturday morning.
Cheers
Dave
Dale
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Dale » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:46 pm

Readers will be getiing fed up hearing about another excellent weekend but it was another excellent weekend. Thanks again to Adrian and Barry for running the game so smoothly.

I was pretty chuffed on Saturday to win three and draw one against Barry but on Saturday it all went pear-shaped for me with Angus (all references to pear-shaped meant) and Charles making short work of my Panzer IV s and finally my Panther. My heroes were my infantry who occupied every building in the town - they needed something to do, and the chaps in captured US 1/2 tracks who chased a Wasp around the Central Vortex. You have to feel sorry for the Wasp commander who couldn't get his match to strike!
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:26 pm

Yes it was very enjoyable. Alas, with other commitments on my mind I decided deliberately not to take my camera so I hope some of my friends will upload our adventures into the blogisphere and not tell too many big porkies about their own performances(Dave :lol:)

The shot n my Tiger was a fair effort but probably anyone could have done that. I think Colin;s shot the next day was much more skilful :lol:

Anyway... here's baiting you kid! :wink:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:59 pm

I'll post some pics on my blog and post a link here as soon as I can get a chance.
Cheers
Dave
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:03 pm

Posted some pics and reports on my blog from the first four games I played
http://davestoybox.blogspot.co.uk/2012/ ... ekend.html
I'll try and post the Villers Bocage photos tomorrow night.
Cheers
Dave
sharnydubs
Colonel
Colonel

Post by sharnydubs » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:50 am

Another very enjoyable weekend's gaming. Thanks again to Adrian and Barry for putting it together. We are getting much more efficient now at the take down after these games, Sunday must have been one of the fastest ever. To see the amount of toyus we had between us was quite amazing. We must have kept Last Valley and Corgi going for a few months on our own.

As you can imagine my coversation with Andy was interesting on the way home! Having cooked Wittman with my Sherman and Adrian microwaving his ghost in the PzIV, Andy had lots of excuses to make!

chow
Peter

TigerLili
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by TigerLili » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:08 am

Thanks for a great weekend again chaps. Thoroughly enjoyed all the small scenarios on Saturday and then the big Tiger hunt on the Sunday. Well done to Sherman ace Peter and thanks to Adrian and Barry for the organisation and to Dale for the admin and B&B.
Will try to organise some photos. The ones taken on the tablet are fairly poor quality but some of the camera ones should be ok.