Free painting

OK, so after two years I've finally given in to having a section of the FORUM specifically set up to discuss painting techniques, display examples, show your latest projects and chat about this vital part of the hobby. Manufacturers please feel free to post up your sculpts, ask questions about what the gamers are after and generally promote your work.. no charge! Painters, please also feel free to post up your work for comment and critique. I can't promise the unreserved adulation characteristic of some other fora but I would hope you'd get constructive and measured comment!
dashing blade
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Free painting

Post by dashing blade » Sat May 01, 2010 2:28 am

Whilst it may be old news to some of you more veteran painters out there,i've discovered a way of making the big battalions more fun to paint.
I'd fallen in to the trap of setting myself targets to have a certain battalion painted by such a date.
It was becoming a chore to paint, and then i felt frustrated if i fell behind, i always wanted to start the next unit before i'd finish the last one.

When a friend asked me to paint their unit for them , i gladly took the project on to escape from the tread mill! Then it dawned on me, i wasn't painting for fun anymore. So I painted a few of this unit and then something else,a officer here a poor footslogger there. It total broke the dark cloud i was painting under. Sure it takes longer and my friend probable regrets giving me his figures now as i'm only painting a few at a time , but hey, I'm enjoying painting again.

If i want to start a new unit i do, sod the last unit i'll return to them sometime later! It might well take longer to finish my WSS French than the actual war lasted. Never mind i'm happy :D #

please let me know if you had a system or a timetable and broke free the surly bonds of robotic painting!

Vive le painting Free style!!!
(The historical evidence that God comes from Lancashire is slim, however he's definitely not from Yorkshire)
Adam Hayes
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Adam Hayes » Sun May 02, 2010 5:53 pm

Totally agree. It was massively liberating to finally finish the figures required for the SOA Zama game. I can now pick and choose between the (ridiulously high number of) different projects I have ongoing without a deadline to make it a chore.
dashing blade
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by dashing blade » Sun May 02, 2010 8:57 pm

Nice one Adam,

maybe we should start a painting movement? League of Independant Figure Enthusiasts L.I.F.E for short. This acronym would enable us to shout "Get a L.I.F.E " to struggling gamers stuck in a painting vicious circle. :lol:

Join us and, together we will tame the hordes of lead threatening to collaspe through the rafters and paint in sunny upland pastures......
sorry getting carried away!

Freedom , Paint and Beer.
(The historical evidence that God comes from Lancashire is slim, however he's definitely not from Yorkshire)
Adam Hayes
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Adam Hayes » Sun May 09, 2010 9:52 pm

dashing blade wrote: Freedom , Paint and Beer.
That sounds like heretical dogma to me! :evil: Beer, paint and freedom is the only true path! :lol:

(Your mentiion of rafters collapsing reminded me of when we moved into our present house; my wife was greatly impressed at the industry with which I boarded out the loft and bolted shelves securely to the walls. It was some months before she spotted the real reason for my priorities... )
dashing blade
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by dashing blade » Mon May 10, 2010 11:46 am

Hey Adam
The movement is less than two weeks old and already there are splits in the party! This is how rugby league started, i warn you it'll be red paint on the streets and carrying brushes in the fields!

Also it may seem i've got my slogan in the wrong order, however after a consultation with my liver, this is the way its gotta be! :cry:

After i posted this "free painting" item , I got several private messages asking me if i could paint figures for them? I'm guessing they didnt read the full item and have never seen my shocking standard of painting or are taking the Mick :lol:

Freedom , Paint, Beer :P

[/quote]
subedai
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by subedai » Sun May 16, 2010 7:07 pm

I wargame in 15mm most of the time but I have found that choosing two armies to paint at the same time gives you a much more varied and dynamic painting schedule (I know, I know, sounds like corporate speak), but it works for me. I currently have a Sassanid Persian, a Heraclian Byzantine and a Mongol army on the go. You get far more choice and it doesn't seem so much of a chore.
Pics can be seen on my blog at subedaissassysassanids.blogspot.com/
If one member of a synchronised swimming team drowns, do they all follow suit?
dashing blade
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by dashing blade » Tue May 18, 2010 3:59 am

Nice paint job subedai,
Three armies on the go is impressive, but anything to break the cycle of the same old figure/paint job. :cry:
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Tue May 18, 2010 11:25 am

Dear Lancashire Lad,

I am working my way through some 12 battalions of 1685 French and Irish troops for the wars of Louis Carthorse. Each battalion comprises 21 figures from Copplestone Castings and I paint one battalion at a time. I also purchased a dozen or so Front Rank civilian figures from approximately the same period so, when I am on the verge of getting fed up with another red, grey or blue coat, I have a go at one of the civilians and this seems to break the monotony.

Jim
“I can assure you, Gentlefolk, they look better from a distance."
Jim O'Neill.
dashing blade
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by dashing blade » Tue May 18, 2010 2:22 pm

I think i've spotted a flaw in my free painting adventure :!:
finishing units is becoming harder to do,also theres a limited amount of space above the fire place. totally different units jostle for position and some have been there for a few weeks now. And its a nightmare to dust!
I feel the deadline of time to paint decreasing fast,as once the family expands again in October,sleep will be more important than painting. :shock:
Onwards.........
sleep,painting, beer .....oh er freedom whatever

p.s Mr Dodger, I've painted a few of the Front Rank Civies, nice characters.
Darkman
Major
Major

Post by Darkman » Sun May 23, 2010 5:51 am

I usually have a project which I am painting. Example is the Saxon warbands I have just done. But on the table I will have say 6 Wars of the roses figures (small retinue) Squadron of WSS. couple of bases of FOW and odd individual figures.
Mainly I use Vajello paints so if I have squirted out a bit to much for what I am painting then I will paint one of the other part time project if I can.

Also I usually paint with a big game or a competition in mind. Saxons have been done for Havoc in Evesham in about 3 weeks. Decided that I would take them so had to finish painting them. Just need to base them now and they are done.
dashing blade
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by dashing blade » Mon May 24, 2010 11:32 am

Dear Darkman,
Sounds like a good set up! would you partake of any beer / spirits/ meths or contraband substances to ease the free painting spirit? I only ask as i've yet to hear of a tea-total painter :!:
I find the odd beer helps relax and calm the soul,and although on a few occasions i've dipped brush into beer and almost drank brush water,It's nice to chill and listen to the telly,paint and have a cheeky drink. :D

Paint,Freedom Brushwater!
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Mon May 24, 2010 12:51 pm

Oh dearie dearie me,

Brings memories back of my younger days when the only available paints were Humbrol Enamels. Every time I opened the turps to clean the brushes my father drank it.

Jim
“I can assure you, Gentlefolk, they look better from a distance."
Jim O'Neill.
dashing blade
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by dashing blade » Tue May 25, 2010 8:04 am

Mr Dodger,
My father had standards....he would only drink turps from the chill cabinet!
j1mwallace
Major General
Major General

Post by j1mwallace » Tue May 25, 2010 9:28 am

I have a friend whose mother in law is in her late 70's and still very much enjoys a wee drink at home.
A few weeks ago he called round fairly early in the morning to take her shopping.She'd forgotten her handbag so he went back into the house.
When he opened the dresser to get her bag there was a large Vodka and Coke inside.
Getting back into the car Pete mentioned the drink hidden.
Old ma in law says " my son must have left it in there last week when when he was over"
Aye says Pete but it must be bloody cold in there then cause the ice hasnae melted yet!
subedai
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by subedai » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:58 pm

Dashing Blade,
I am proud to state on record that the evil beverage does not pass my lips at painting time -tea, in copious amounts does it for me. Although this does have its down side. Picture the scenario. Paint a colour and shade it, loo break; paint a colour, another loo break; paint a colour, make tea, loo break on way to painting table. And so on ad nauseum for the whole session. My argument is that it keeps me fit.
(By the way, I do partake at other times.)
If one member of a synchronised swimming team drowns, do they all follow suit?