McNally's Aughrim

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

McNally's Aughrim

Post by barr7430 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:13 pm

Finally got round to reading this book which I bought last year. Good read, interesting perspective on some of the command decisions. Nice analysis of the political situation relative to some of the key figures at various levels of the command structure of both sides.

Love the artwork by Sean Brogan... really nice style

Not sure about some of the detail on the robert Hall uniform plates though. The description of Danish uniforms may well be correct but didn't seem to tally with most other sources.
Wa puzzled by a reference to Funen(Fynske) in Green .. which I thought was their uniform colour in the Skane Wars. Also the Blue coated Prinds Frederick.. maybe I'm out of touch :oops:

Really put me in the mood for running Aughrim as a big game.. maybe that'll be the first BLB weekender!
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
danschorr
Major
Major

Post by danschorr » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:22 pm

Hall is correct. Fynske in green and Prins Fredrik in blue. The change to grey did not occur until the 1691 ordinance which wasn't implemented for a number of years.

Dan
flick40
Major General
Major General

Post by flick40 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:32 pm

I have this as well and will start reading it as soon as I finish "Orange and Green, a Tale of the Boyne" by G.A. Henty. Its more of a historical novel but interesting.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:42 pm

Thanks for that Dan. The descriptions of the Danes in White... in your opinion should that be interpreted as grey?

cheers
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
danschorr
Major
Major

Post by danschorr » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:54 pm

Correct; although the grey was very light in colour and could be misinterperted to be white.

Dan