1st Bn Pskov Infantry Regiment ~ 1812

OK, so after two years I've finally given in to having a section of the FORUM specifically set up to discuss painting techniques, display examples, show your latest projects and chat about this vital part of the hobby. Manufacturers please feel free to post up your sculpts, ask questions about what the gamers are after and generally promote your work.. no charge! Painters, please also feel free to post up your work for comment and critique. I can't promise the unreserved adulation characteristic of some other fora but I would hope you'd get constructive and measured comment!
Greystreak
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

1st Bn Pskov Infantry Regiment ~ 1812

Post by Greystreak » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:25 pm

The saga of my project for the Russian 7th Division, VI Corps at Borodino rolls on, at the usual glacial pace. Today it's the 1st Bn. Pskov Infantry Regiment, the senior formation in the division. The usual figures (Alan Perry sculpted for Foundry), with only slight variations in the basing materials, and some minor tweaks in greatcoat colour. The quality is certainly not on par with the many talented amateurs and professionals who typically post here, but perhaps some may find time to offer some contructive suggestions for improvement? (Besides the obvious photography challenges.)

Next up with be the first battalion of the 11th Jäger Regt., before moving on to more batteries and leader figures.

Last edited by Greystreak on Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bryce
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:44 pm

Gorgeous Russian unit!!!
My initial burst of enthusiasm from June to August has ground to a bit of a halt due to other commitments but currently stands at 10 battalions of infantry, 1 6pdr battery, 2 squadrons of Dragoons and 2 squadrons of Cossacks with hundreds more sitting in boxes waiting for a lick of paint. Hopefull after their outing at the demo game Barry and myself are putting on at the Forfar show this Saturday will spur me on to get more done.

Are the flags by GMB?

Cheers
Dave
Greystreak
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Greystreak » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:54 pm

Cheers, Dave--yes, flags are by Grahame at GMB. I mucked them up with a couple of creases, as all can see, by trying to 'fold' them a bit more aggressively than usual . . . :oops:

I've only finished 5 of 12 planned battalions thus far, so long way to go for me yet. I'm holding back on doing the accompanying cavalry till the end of the project, as an inducement to finish! :shock:
Bryce
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:04 pm

I had hoped to have some GMB flags for Saturday's display as they are lovely little creations but unfortunately it is almost 5 weeks since they were ordered and still no sign of them which is annoying as they are only a few hundred miles away. I have ordered figures from OZ which arrived in Scotland within 7 days of ordering so don't know why these are taking so long but I have been told he only works part time.

I had started out painting my infantry with good intentions of painting them first before going onto the cavalry but as I keep adding more infantry to the list I decided to make a start on some cavalry as a little treat, especially the Cossacks as it gave me a break from all that green.
I've especially enjoyed painting the guns with all the clutter behind which just looks the part.
Cheers
Dave
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:58 pm

Lovely Bryce!

You should think about coming along to our Borodino game in February 2011
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:09 pm

"XA*I*A CLAUSS"

The only constructive comment that I can make is that maybe the name tag is a bit too big, :lol:

Jim
Last edited by CoffinDodger on Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I can assure you, Gentlefolk, they look better from a distance."
Jim O'Neill.
subedai
Private First Class
Private First Class

Russians

Post by subedai » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:02 pm

Dunno what you are on about, they look alright to me -would look good on any wargames table. Keep going, would like to some others.
Dodgy photography? Phaw! The subject is in focus, you can see what it is, so what more do you want? Don't worry about it, I use my garden as a backdrop all the time because natural light is better.
If one member of a synchronised swimming team drowns, do they all follow suit?
Rob Herrick
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Rob Herrick » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:06 pm

The only "problem" with the paint job I can see is that you didn't paint eyes on the guys. The only reason I can tell is because of the excellent zoom lens showing a close up of some faces.

On the table, they will make a splendid target for Frenchmen!
Greystreak
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Greystreak » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:42 am

barr7430 wrote:You should think about coming along to our Borodino game in February 2011
It's a target I'm working towards, Barry, but negotiations are still in the early stages. Not that you'd need another 5 battalions of Russian infantry, or a battery of 12-pdrs . . . :wink:
Bryce
Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:45 pm

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Curt

Post by Curt » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:07 pm

This is a beautiful unit - great work, Bryce. Your brushwork is nice and clean. Brilliant work on the faces as well.
curassier
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Austerlitz Russians

Post by curassier » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:15 pm

Beautiful sculpts by Mr Hicks (Victrix) for the earlier period Austerlitz, Friedland et al. Not sure about the organisation of Russian battalions in this period or how long these uniforms lasted. Were these old-style shako's still around in 1812? Greystreak maybe you can advise. I'm thinking that many of the Perry officers from the old Foundry range might still be usable as well.
Regards
Jon M.
Jonathan
Anonymous

Re: Austerlitz Russians

Post by Anonymous » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:40 pm

curassier wrote:Beautiful sculpts by Mr Hicks (Victrix) for the earlier period Austerlitz, Friedland et al. Not sure about the organisation of Russian battalions in this period or how long these uniforms lasted. Were these old-style shako's still around in 1812? Greystreak maybe you can advise. I'm thinking that many of the Perry officers from the old Foundry range might still be usable as well.
Regards
Jon M.
Jon,

The uniform/headdress change were ordered short before the french invasion. The army needed almost the rest of the year 1812 to replace the old style uniforms. In the early days of 1813 the last and westernmost units got the new dress.

Hope that helps

Günter
curassier
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Russian uniforms

Post by curassier » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:45 pm

Yes that is most helpful - hopefully the castings will be close in size to the Foundry napoleonic Russians - which to my mind were by far the bst of the Perry offerings under the Foundry banner. Any thoughts on organisation of a typical Musketeer battalion.
I see Greystreak has a company (?) of Grenadiers - would this be appropriate for 1807 as well?
JM
Jonathan
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:28 pm

Jon,

The unit organization of the Russians was kept the same since 1805.
A Batallion had 4 companies of 2 platoons each. Only the regimental structure changed a bit from 1805 to 1811.
By the look of Greystreaks unit I would say its quite correct. Only one Platoon (4 figures) was made of Grenadiers.
The wellknown Russian Converged Grenadiers were drawn out of the 2nd (or Reserve Batallion) of each Infantry Regiment. So all Field Army Regiments, comprising the 1st and the 3rd Batallion, have had their Grenadiers with them.

Hope this helps a bit :)

Günter