Derby Show 2010

Forum for discussion about Wargaming, Painting, Books, Terrain, Research and general banter!
Blucher
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Derby Show 2010

Post by Blucher » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:05 am

Having attended the recent 'Derby Worlds' show (2/3rd Oct) I would like to say how impressed I was at the whole event. I had not attended this show before and the organisation, facilities and the 'openess' of the venue made for a very good show.

What surprised me most was the amount of different traders that I had not seen before (as I never venture further south than Partizan/Newark) - which made for some 'extra browsing' and spending.

It is certainly a show I will venture to in future and for anyone like me that for years thought it just another show - 'same old, same old' - its not.

Recommended

Blucher
Churchill
General
General

Derby Worlds 2010

Post by Churchill » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:23 am

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
subedai
Private First Class
Private First Class

Derby show

Post by subedai » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:32 pm

I agree with Churchill. I have been traveling from Brum to Derby for at least five years and the show still has something new to offer every time. The range and quality of the games and traders present can only be a constant credit to the organizers. It's a 'comfortable' show; not too crowded, still busy but with plenty of time to wander around, chat to people and have a really good mooch at whats on display. Also the traders always seem to have the time for a conversation. From a personal point of view from someone who has been attending shows since the early 1970's (God am I that old?) it is right up there near the top. Easy access, decently sized and multi-levelled for greater interest -much more than the mono-levelled, aircraft hanger of a show darn sarf. (Went once, thought that Olympia was a much more prestigious venue and advert for the hobby in general, so don't think I'll be going again.)

P.S. Impressive game, Churchill. Nice scenery, shedloads of figures, but being a devout Prussianophile there seemed to be a distinct lack of said troops...at least on Saturday anyway.
If one member of a synchronised swimming team drowns, do they all follow suit?
Eugenio von Savoy
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army

Post by Eugenio von Savoy » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:55 pm

Subedai,

Sorry but only just seen your post of last year.

Lack of Prussians on Saturday attributed to the fact that 'Like a stone wall' Group always play their demo games throughout a show whilst still attempting to chat with all onlookers. Serious multi plate spinners are we!

In this case it was a two day affair and so we spread it out a litlle. No rush.
On the Sunday you could not move for Prussian units.

We have pictures within our photo gallery section at:

http://www.freewebs.com/like-a-stone-wall/

Regards
Tim
'Like a stone wall' Wargames Group
Nottinghamshire
UK
"Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak, Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen."
Sir Winston Churchill,
subedai
Private First Class
Private First Class

Derby GAme 2010

Post by subedai » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:23 pm

Eugenio
After just seeing your web pictures I am suitably mollified. Them thar Prussians look really mean and tasty...all shedloads of them! Didn't notice how nice the buildings were at the time either, again that has been rectified; the gentleman in question does some nice work.

Just gone through the spiel as to what you lot are doing this year -36' long Mons in 25mm eh, that has got be something to see. (I might bring 2 camera's this time as my main digital only holds about 300 pics.) Looking forward to it. See you there.

In case you remember, I am the bloke with an Estuary Accent, (Essex that is), who has been visually likened to both Bob Hoskins and Penfold -although not usually in the same sentence- owing to the glasses and being follically challenged. (My argument is that I'm not getting old, it's just that my skin has started growing faster than my hair).
If one member of a synchronised swimming team drowns, do they all follow suit?