Danish uniforms - who to believe?

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
18th Century Guy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Danish uniforms - who to believe?

Post by 18th Century Guy » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:19 am

I have a question for all of you. Which source do you believe for uniform and flag details - Sapherson or Hall? I have the Sapherson booklet and some of the Hall prints (Blenheim & Ramillies) and there are some differences especially with the flags. Which one is closer to being correct?
pete17
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by pete17 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:59 am

I've got the same problem, I'm gonna paint up three danish units for Ireland and can't decide what colours to paint them and the flags are no better.

The flags in the sapherson booklet on the Irish War mostly carry the cypher of King Frederick IV who came to the throne in 1699 if my memories correct. Therefore I'm doubtful that these would be right for 1690. If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be appreciated. cheers Pete
footslogger
Major
Major

Re: Danish uniforms - who to believe?

Post by footslogger » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:41 pm

18th Century Guy wrote:I have a question for all of you. Which source do you believe for uniform and flag details - Sapherson or Hall? I have the Sapherson booklet and some of the Hall prints (Blenheim & Ramillies) and there are some differences especially with the flags. Which one is closer to being correct?
I'm not sure about the Danes. I imagine Dan Schorr will have some insight on this. If he doesn't respond here you might drop him a note.

The thing I like about Hall is that he footnotes his sources and in the French books you can find out exactly the timeframe of the source he is using.
Rebel
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Rebel » Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:36 pm

For my tuppence, I would go with Robert and Dan's views on this.
The IMC's "Danish Force in Ireland" gives a quick sketch of the uniform colours, which is good as a first stop. Which units are you thinking of ??

Mike.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:01 pm

There is a drawing in the McNally/Osprey on the Boyne of Prinds George I think. Uniform green with orange facings. IF the flag detailed in Sapherson is correct Dannebrog on quartered Green and White field this would pehaps be a stronger argument than the grey faced orange described by Sapherson as their uniform post 1701. Sapherson was a very good initial information source when the stuff came out originally but the subjects are so vast that there were bound to be errors in there. I have found many contradictory sections even within the same title so for those with OCD, refer to more than one source or you will have nightmares :shock: :shock: :shock:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Rebel
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Rebel » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:41 pm

The two plates by Soeren Henriksen used in the book are the Danish Footguards and the Fynske/Fünen regiment.

Mike.
Rebel
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Rebel » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:44 pm

In the Aughrim narrative (as published by The History Press) I also updated by research on the danes and so this has a little bit more than the original Danaher and Simms work by the IMC.

Am hoping to get to Copenhagen next year and if it can be arranged possible will be having a look at the original references used in "Danish Force in Ireland".

- Mike.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:17 pm

You'r right I must have read it elsewhere but definitely specified green faced orange for Prinds George in Ireland

Henry Ford
18th Century Guy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by 18th Century Guy » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:28 pm

I'm definitely looking for post 1701 information. The Hall prints show a very different flag as described by Sapherson.
Rebel
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Rebel » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:44 pm

Quick answer is that 1699+ Frederick IV is king of Denmark and so all standards are monogrammed for him. Are you looking at specific units/time frames ? Frederick rules until 1730 and so at least we can remain certain of flag design etc. Let me know the units (if your query is specific) and I'll see what I can dig up.

Barry have just rechecked my notes and Prince George's regiment are in white at Aughrim.

- Mike.
18th Century Guy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by 18th Century Guy » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:40 pm

Mike,

I'm looking at the Prince Georg regiment. Sapherson describs a flag in green and white quarters. The Hall print shows an all white colonel's flag with all green 2nd & 3rd company flags. The colonel's has a green wreath with a monogram (gold cypher) in the middle while the company flags have a silver wreath with different cartoons inside the wreath and of course the danneborgge in the upper staff corner.

I do plan on painting up other Danish units so it would be nice to get an idea of which source to trust more so I don't have to keep coming back to this site and ask questions (plus feel stupid). :oops:

And just ONE more question. Can someone tell me what the device on the front of the grenadier's hat would be for the Prince Georg?

Thank you so much.
Rebel
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Rebel » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:23 am

Just a quick one, before I hit the sack - It's 2am and I have a 7th birthday party in a few hours.

Have quickly rechecked things, and as at 1690/1 Prince George's Regt should be in white/gris-mesle faced in green. Obviously this is a little too early for the period you are after, but I'll chase up some contacts in Denmark to see what they have.

As soon as I have anything I'll post a reponse here.

- Mike.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:16 pm

Mike what is your source

thanks

B

Henry Ford
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:12 pm

I've got 'Bemalungsangaben fur die Zeit des Spanischen Erbfolge Krieges 1701-1714' by Claus-Peter Goldberg and this shows Prinz Georg regiment with light grey uniform with orange facings. I know this is later than the period you are after but it might help with confirmation for some of the other posters.

Cheers
Dave
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:26 pm

obriendavid wrote: I've got Bemalungsangaben fur die Zeit des Spanischen Erbfolge Krieges...
Sounds bad, Dave. Have you seen a doctor?

Jim
“I can assure you, Gentlefolk, they look better from a distance."
Jim O'Neill.